Contribute
Register

pro audio "whine" [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pro audio "whine" - apple audio update fix not working

PROGRESS!

Updated to BIOS F9, disabled all "Advanced CPU Settings" options - noise is gone!

Enabled ALL functions in "Advanced CPU Settings" - noise is back

Disabled C1E - noise still there

ALSO disabled (on a hunch) CPU EIST function - noise gone!

I haven't tried setting the Vcore, would like to read up on it a bit just so I feel comfortable making any changes to it.

I have an app that relies on perfect analog phono signal strength to function properly (ms pinky DVS) and it is still acting wacky, but since I can't hear any audible "problem" noise from the case, I have no idea whether the original problem "whine" was/is the issue. It could be some sort of grounding issue with the board/case/PSU what have you but I guess that is getting beyond the scope of this thread.

I'll do more testing as I have time and report back any findings.

Thanks guys!

:headbang:

PS I am now confused as to whether my issue was the "mac pro 2009" issue or a more generalized Intel/Nvidia noise issue as mentioned.

homesnake said:
disabled all "Advanced CPU Settings" options - noise is gone!
Enabled ALL functions in "Advanced CPU Settings" - noise is back
Disabled C1E - noise still there
ALSO disabled (on a hunch) CPU EIST function - noise gone!
homesnake,
Been there, done that... ;)
The main issue with this approach is that you are disabling SpeedStep, affecting your system performance (and thermal too).

CakeMonster reported also that using the new nvidia drivers seem to solve the noise issues he's been having too.

Ahh yes I was wondering about that - OK so I will try out the Vcore thing and new nVidia drivers (any hints on where I can find these drivers? - I'm at work so I can 't do too much surfing right now)

homesnake said:
Ahh yes I was wondering about that - OK so I will try out the Vcore thing and new nVidia drivers (any hints on where I can find these drivers? - I'm at work so I can 't do too much surfing right now)
homesnake,
Based on your sig (BTW, update it to F9), our systems are very similar...
Would you mind checking your BIOS settings are like the ones I posted in viewtopic.php?p=13521#p13521 (and on...) ?
The moment I updated to F9, the noise was definitely less noticeable with these, to a point I didn't have to change Vcore...

OK I printed out all your BIOS settings and double checked, they were identical (I think I used your settings for the original build :D )

I switched all the advanced CPU settings on, and again any audio app would trigger the noise.

I then went back and enabled a set value for the Vcore (just used the value that the BIOS had currently running) and after reboot tested by launching audio apps, noise was gone.

So at this stage it seems I need to have at least Vcore fixed to eliminate the problem.

Am I correct in thinking that with just the Vcore changed my speedstep is still functional?

Not sure why my build would behave differently than yours seeing as you said they are very similar.

I might try the new Nvidia drivers, haven't looked for them but will do that right now.

EDIT: found the nVidia thread and will install the new drivers, though I am still on 10.6.3. Cakemonster mentions his noise problem was solved in combination with 10.6.4 - will give it a shot anyways!

EDIT 2: I am getting a javascript error when I try to use the rebuilt (permissions-less) nvidia driver installer - would pacifist be able to install these drivers or is it crucial to use the nvidia installer package?

homesnake said:
Am I correct in thinking that with just the Vcore changed my speedstep is still functional?
Yep.

Not sure why my build would behave differently than yours seeing as you said they are very similar.

I might try the new Nvidia drivers, haven't looked for them but will do that right now.

EDIT: found the nVidia thread and will install the new drivers, though I am still on 10.6.3. Cakemonster mentions his noise problem was solved in combination with 10.6.4 - will give it a shot anyways!
I'm not using the nvidia drivers...
May be our PSUs are different... and I think your 9400 demands less from your PSU than my 9800.

May be our PSUs are different... and I think your 9400 demands less from your PSU than my 9800.

Funny I was thinking PSU might be a factor, as w00 posted earlier in the thread it seemed to be the issue for him.

Good news about Vcore not disabling speedstep! Knowing that now, I am OK with that as a solution - I will hold off on installing the Nvidia package, tho Tony mentioned they seemed fairly harmless/compatible.

If I feel like opening up the case I will try out a different PSU and report, will need some espresso to get that energetic tho!

Oh and I updated my sig ;)

EDIT: was just googling about (general) PC noise problems and it was mentioned a couple times, if having trouble locating the source of noise use a length of hose or a cardboard tube and hold it to your ear while passing it over your components, this can help you isolate the source. I think I'll try it out and see where that pesky sound is coming from (out of curiousity :shh: o_O )

OK, I have isolated this problem a bit further, there was another layer to this problem which was causing havoc with my DVS (digital vinyl playback) system, which the Vcore fix was not addressing.

The video card was the source. it was somehow causing a (inaudible to my ears) signal that was picked up by the ms. pinky DVS system and fed into it's control signal causing 10x fast forward playback of audio files if the play button in the transport was NOT engaged. (if you are interested search for my post "cutoff sharpness craziness and only one channel on thru" on the ms pinky forum)

I simply swapped out the card in the audio hackintosh with the card in my HTPC hackintosh, and all is well. Since the noise is only audible to that specific audio app, I don't see it having any issues living in the HTPC.

The audio rig now has my trusty old problem free Gigabyte 9500 GT.

If you are building a Pro Audio Hackintosh you may want to stay away from this card:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814134092

Of course YMMV. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has noise/interference issues with this brand/card in their build.

Thanks for everyones help on this :headbang:

homesnake,
Great diagnosis ! :clap:

Glad all is working now ! :thumbup:

Lnx2Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back