Contribute
Register

Price-minded way to find compatible parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm currently putting together a parts list for a hackintosh that will be replacing a 2010 Macbook. I already have a gaming laptop I use for modern gaming, so this build doesn't need huge graphical muscle or tons of expandability, it just needs to be cheap.

I'm finding it kind of hard to seek out compatible parts in the buying guide when I'm really only interested in price. For example, even the budget ATX build is using a Z-series motherboard, which is more expensive than some of the H-series motherboards in the full listing. How can I find the one that is the cheapest, or find the few most cheapest so I can compare them and decide if the bump in price is worth it? With CPUs and memory it's easy, since there are really only a few possible choices, but with motherboards there are tons.

Simply go to the Motherboards section of the Guide and click through the links to Amazon and
Newegg and see what the prices are. Only takes a few minutes to do that. Since prices change
often we don't list them here for comparison. The lowest cost will likely be an H97 ATX board.
Either the GA-H97-D3H or GA-H97M-D3H will cost about 89 USD at Amazon. Then the only
decision is whether you want mATX or ATX size. The ATX really only gives you a few extra
PCI-E slots that you won't use anyway. You can also get either the Asus or Asrock H97M
boards for about the same price. The Gigabyte choices will be the easiest to get working,
Asus next and then Asrock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back