Motherboard
Asus ROG Hero X z370
CPU
Intel 8700k
Graphics
Radeon W6600 Pro
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/04/apple-lg-display-major-price-cut/

I think this is notable for two reasons:

First, has Apple *ever* cut the price of something big like this before it even starts shipping? It seems to run completely contrary to their brand. Sure, it's an LG product, but Apple is giving it nearly the same spotlight as their own branded stuff.

Second, the 5k one is now an amazingly good deal for a wide-gamut 5k. I'm despairing about running it on my Hack though. Anyone have a reason to be optimistic? I don't see any sign that graphics cards will have TB-3 ports on them anytime soon. Perhaps onboard graphics through motherboard ports? That seems a big comparability stretch though.

It's a limited time deal, so that's another dilemma for me, since I usually like to wait for reviews and feedbacks before making purchasing decision. The deal is supposed to last until the "end of the year," and the 5K monitor will be "available" in December... which could mean post-Christmas for all we know. :problem:

But yeah, the current absence of TB3-equipped GPU is a big deal too. I'm currently on the fence whether to (finally) build that Hackintosh wundermachine, or bite the bullet and go with the new rMBP. (my only portable computing device is my iPhone, so a MBP would be a welcome addition to my gears.....) And this 5k monitor is tipping the scale in MBP's favor.........

Is there any sexy looking Monitor around , with a plain glass front ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back