Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm posting this in the hope that it might intrigue someone who might be able to help, or maybe just tell me to stop wasting my time.
The issue is that Presonus who make audio interfaces amongst other things, stopped supporting a key feature of their interfaces beyond Yosemite on the grounds that Apple changed something from El Capitan onwards that supposedly makes it impossible for their software to work as intended. And to be blunt I smell a rat - especially given what so many folks manage to do here in terms of getting bits of hardware to work that were never supposed to (according to Apple anyway)

The audio interfaces are USB class compliant so as basic audio I/O continue to work perfectly well up to and including Mojave - what is missing is the "VSL" part of the interface which enables zero latency monitoring as well as the possibility to inject various types of audio processing into the signal path on the way in, or as part of the monitoring chain. For example, the typical use might be to compress a vocal youre recording or give the vocalist's monitor a bit of reverb. This DSP was built into the units with the VSL suffix e.g. The AudioBox 44VSL or 1818VSL - and these units have been effectively castrated unless you stay with Yosemite.

So can anyone shed any light on what changed with El Capitan to suddenly make it impossible for Presonus to support this critical and highly desirable feature of their hardware?

If I were to provide links to the VSL software (which is freely available from the Presonus website, but obviously useless to anyone without the appropriate audio interface) would anyone be interested in seeing if something were salvageable, maybe by injecting kexts ?

The excuse has been that from "El Capitan" Apple, "no longer permits third party drivers to interact with the deeper levels of the Apple kernel" - I quote from a forum post on the Presonus website from someone quoting something Presonus said to them. I'd like to get a better idea of whether this is genuinely something that Apple did to make things impossible for Presonus, or simply a BS excuse so that Presonus can make these audio interfaces obsolescent a push sales of their new gear . . . and that they could actually make things work with more current versions of the MacOS but can't be bothered to fund the development. I'm guessing that of the many genuinely qualified software engineers on these forums someone will be able to make an educated guess as to which is true.

Thanks in advance

Just wanted to add something that I just realised I hadnt made obvious - which is that I wonder if this might be a situation in which using a hackintosh as a main DAW machine might not be advantageous in the different sense to normal of being able to workaround obstacles that either Presonus or Apple or both have put in the way of the VSL software working.
Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back