Contribute
Register

Preparations before switching from nVidia to AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sign up your machine in the Beta program: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
You should get your config right first tho. Could you please send me your entire Clover folder? I will try to clean it up for you.

Just sign up your machine in the Beta program: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
You should get your config right first tho. Could you please send me your entire Clover folder? I will try to clean it up for you.

Wow, that's really nice of you. I really appreciate it, thanks!

I reinstalled the 1080 and reverted back to my previous settings, so the config-file is set up for that configuration.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 54
Uhm, I assumed you wanna go Mojave Beta with the Vega? Your Nvidia card won't work on Mojave.

I will optimize your config for the Vega, so it might not work with the NVIDIA card. So please get your Vega back in for now.
Do you already run on APFS? If yes, you can do a safe and easy clean install of Mojave within a separate APFS volume without deleting your current High Sierra install. Do you know how to do this?

I'm on APFS, yes.
Hm, no, I can't say that I know how to do that. By partitioning using the disc utility tool, I guess? Is it still possible to get all the data from the High Sierra-volume to the Mojave-volume?

You open disk utility, mark your APFS container, then click on "Partition" and then on the message hit "Add Volume".
After installing Mojave, once everything works, you can migrate your data using the migration assistant.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-31 um 20.15.19.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-31 um 20.15.19.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 61
Nope, you just migrate using the migration assistant and if everything is fine you can delete the old APFS volume. Of course you need sufficient storage on the SSD to duplicate all of your data. If there is not enough space, use a time machine backup.

I changed the SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 which fits best for Vega machines. The iMac18,2 that was set in your config is suitable only for IGPU based systems. Download the attached config and generate a new serial number, SmUUID and UUID.

After this take a USB stick and install Clover for UEFI booting onto it. Then copy my Clover folder onto its EFI partition and overwrite the default data. We are using this method so your working EFI on your SSD remains untouched until Mojave runs.

Try to boot your High Sierra install with the Vega card using the Clover stick. If it works, set the USB stick as default boot method for now. Then boot into High Sierra again and download the Mojave installer from the App Store. Then go ahead and install it onto your second APFS volume.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back