Contribute
Register

Pre-Build Question: Dual Boot with Windows 10 Speed Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 DT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. I'm planning on building an i7-8700K/GTX1080 hackintosh with dual boot for Windows 10 on a separate drive. I tend to use both operating systems for different things. But I will primarily be using Davinci Recode in Windows.

My question is whether or not the BIOS settings for the MacOS install are going to limit the speed or utility of the the Windows 10 install? Since this is primarily a Windows-based hardware build, I want to make sure that the speeds in Windows are as fast as possible. I'm just concerned that some of the BIOS setting required for MacOS installation may hinder that. I'm referring specifically to VT-d, CFG-Lock, Secure Boot Mode, and IO Serial Port, all of which need to be disabled. Also, OS needs to be set to Other OS. All of these changes seem like they will affect any OS that is run on this machine. How will they affect Windows?

Last edited:
@Budge72

Non of the BIOS features you mention will affect Windows performance .... VT-d is virtual hardware passthrough but if you not planning on running virtual machines under windows then it should not be an issue. Secure Boot is just an authentication method for Windows .. and best left disabled ... only really useful for corporate IT departments that want to ensure they have authenticated builds of Windows installed on their machines .. same goes for CFG-Lock. Windows drivers connect to USB ports at a much lower level than OSX so you should not see any issues with USB Serial port speeds.

Cheers
Jay

All of these changes seem like they will affect any OS that is run on this machine. How will they affect Windows?
Not all of those changes need to be made for every motherboard.

Thank you. I've ordered all of my parts and I'm just anxiously waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back