Contribute
Register

PowerMac G5 - Parts List - Build Prep - Power Supply Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have all the usual questions, but I'll start with two.

I rather like my old G5 and so what I am doing to it is merely a repair since the Apple motherboard failed and the Apple store wanted a humongous amount to replace it. While I am inside I'd like to upgrade the DVD drive. Does anybody know which drive will open the little door? Which drive can I take the front plate off so it will open the door on the case. And one more thing, I'd like it to be a SATA drive, just because. I might spring for my first Blu-Ray writer, but I really hate the fact that the Studios have built the license price into the blank disc price, but being able to write backups 25 gig at a time would be nice.

And the second question, and this is sort of a moot point as I've already ordered the part and I'll make it work, somehow. But can anyone tell me whether they see a problem with my using this Power Supply? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338055

It is 700 Watts and

Dimensions 3.93" x 1.57" x 9.84"

It's my impression that any standard 5.25 inch optical drive will work correctly. As far as the PSU, I have no clue. I considered doing one like that to emulate the original Apple PSU, but I can't comment on it powering an original G5 set of hardware.

It's my impression that any standard 5.25 inch optical drive will work correctly.

Sorry, I have changed the DVD players in the past while the G5 was still working properly. The question I was trying to ask is which brand of DVD player has a tray without its own door (on the front of the tray) that works properly with OSX. Last time I did it I ended up with a DVD player that wanted to stay open when it was supposed to be closed and closed when it was supposed to be open. That worked fine, but it bugged me.

As far as the PSU, I have no clue. I considered doing one like that to emulate the original Apple PSU, but I can't comment on it powering an original G5 set of hardware.

Sorry again. I'm changing all the internals, but in a way that I believe is consistent with the design. I will be using a Mountain Mods motherboard tray and everything that was based on the PowerPC chips will be replaced with Intel X86 stuff.

Actually, I have two broken G5s but nowhere near enough money to do what I want with them. I bought the "Mountain Mods" motherboard tray months ago, and now I lust after a Laser Hive one that takes the water cooling attachment... I also would enjoy having one set up with a mac mini board inside, but I suspect that would be a waste of a beautiful case for a joke that nobody would ever see but me. I'm suspecting a better joke might be to use the old PowerPc 7100 or even the 8150 that is on its way to oblivion.

Sorry, I have changed the DVD players in the past while the G5 was still working properly. The question I was trying to ask is which brand of DVD player has a tray without its own door (on the front of the tray) that works properly with OSX. Last time I did it I ended up with a DVD player that wanted to stay open when it was supposed to be closed and closed when it was supposed to be open. That worked fine, but it bugged me...

In my experience any brand will work with the eject functionality in OS X, I also haven't come across an optical drive model where the front bezel of the tray isn't removable.

I also would enjoy having one set up with a mac mini board inside, but I suspect that would be a waste of a beautiful case for a joke that nobody would ever see but me. I'm suspecting a better joke might be to use the old PowerPc 7100 or even the 8150 that is on its way to oblivion.

How about inside an Original Macintosh or a Mac II? It would be trivial to put one of the Mac-Mini-Hackintoshes inside the Macintosh case, but it wouldn't be any fun without a screen in place of the Cathode-Ray tube. There must be something out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back