CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
(THIS PUBLICATION WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN IN SPANISH AND TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH BY THE GOOGLE TRANSLATOR)

Hello friends, after several months of a little work and pause, work and pause. I finally managed to finish my first Mod of the Mythical Case of the PowerMac G5. I am Latino so I decided to publish this POST in Spanish, basically because in my experience it is very difficult to find constriction "GUIDES" in my language and it is always difficult to perfectly understand the GOOGLE TRANSLATE translation.

First of all I want to thank the whole community of tonymacx86.com, since without the help of several of your POST I could not have done this work, I regret not being able to place the credits and links of each of the members of which He supported me but it was really information that I found as I needed it and did not write it down.

And well as they say over there, without further delay I will begin to tell my experience doing this work.

I confess that I am not really FAN of Apple, MacOS and iOS and I hope you will forgive me for that, but I do like most of their designs and especially the build quality. And it's precisely the G5's beautiful design and build quality that make me LOVE this CASE.
I am currently working on 3 different re-designs for the same case, since on one occasion I was able to buy 14 pieces of equipment that were going to be scrapped.
In this first construction I wanted to keep the design, both exterior and interior, but working with the components that I had at home. So the cuts in the material were as essential as possible, reuse the CPUFan and some cables, such as the hard drives and the front panel. Also reuse the disk bay and font case, where you fit a conventional ATX font. And finally and I think more importantly, the CPU cooler was also adapted.

Current PC components:
Intel Server Board 12000BTS Motherboard
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 processor
Memories Ram Apacer 4x4GB at 1333Mhz
Bestec ATX300 Power Source (19amp by 12v)
Supports 2 SATA disks, either 2.5 "or 3.5"
Supports any graphics card less than 20amp and 6-pin power connector, for example, GTX 1060 or RX560

Now if I leave you some images:

20200529_123125.jpg

This is how it looks with its acrylic dust cap, to be able to place it you must use a LOW PROFILE graphic such as the GTX1050 that you have on right now or find one that has the power connectors back or up (I'll leave some examples)

radeon 4870x2.jpg

This has the power connector facing up. Do not take into account the model of the graph, the image is only for you to see the position of the plug

20200529_123142.jpg

This is the model of the power source that you place, it does not have anything special, although if it has good power despite being 300w, it is also of good quality so it will easily withstand use and abuse. The main reason I chose it is because I had to modify it, cutting its aluminum heatsinks since they were 7cm high and did not fit into the case of the Mac source. I was not going to risk damaging a better quality source and as I said, the idea was to use the components that I had at home ...
atx300 bestec.jpg

20200529_123158.jpg

A view of the memory and how the original heatsink looks perfectly with this MoBo ...

20200529_123204.jpg

This fan gives air to the graphics card.

You may wonder why if the fans are 4-pin PWM don't connect them directly to the board? It happens that I have not found a way for this board to recognize the fans to be able to control their speed and if I connect them they are always 100%, so they make an unbearable noise since they are 3600rpm. connect them to the source to the 5v and it is an acceptable sound and they have good air pressure.

20200529_123400.jpg

This other one gives air to the discs

20200529_123215.jpg

I had to move the bay of the discs towards the position of the DVD drive, since the motherboard is ATX and it exceeds the original area of it. The ideal would be a MoBo mATX and so it would be 100% original, they could even fit a DVD or Bluray SATA drive.

20200529_123431.jpg

Original front fans, also connected to the source at 5v

20200529_123536.jpg

Original heatsink, it is incredible that with all the components at full, the processor does not exceed 70c. And I mean I have tried the pc with another source and a 1080 gtx and the truth is the box is very fresh.

20200429_165925 (1).jpg

Performance tests with the GTX 1060, you can see the maximum temperatures and that the 300w Bestec source supports everything.

20200319_211637 (1).jpg

Heatsink mod

20200319_180240.jpg

This was the anchor that I designed to be able to place the heatsink. I made it in acrylic because it is resistant and easy to work

20200321_184903 (1).jpg

For the MoBo mounting bases use the same original poles and glue them with epoxy

20200326_100434 (1).jpg

Completely original front view

20200429_165050.jpg

Here in operation with the GTX1060

20200326_100246.jpg

As you can see in this image, it has an atx font and an RX570, although I like it better as it is with the mod of the original font

20200529_123638.jpg

The back, I did not want to cut the back but it was necessary in my case to access the ethernet and USB ports.

Well guys up to here the demonstration of how my first mod of the PowerMac G5 looks, I hope you really like it as I do, I think that with a mATX motherboard it would have been much better, but well I leave that for later.
My thanks to those who read this POST and again to all of those whose POST I used to make the respective modifications, such as those of the front panel pinout and fans, and apologies for not putting specific credits.

And as a bonus I leave you a preview of my other mods

20200126_164234.jpg

I call this TowerMac G5, it is still under construction but it is about 70%
20200212_205946.jpg

20200206_233919.jpg

This is MiniPowerMac with vertical graphics, this barely by 20%

If you want I can make a post showing all the re-designs I have in mind and under construction

Thank you...

Awesome!, Good work sir!. You've been adventurous and moved things about, hdd cage is a good example. I'm interested to know how you fit it, did the cage fit in the DVD slots?. I also love the CPU heat sync you reused, I have kept the coolers from another G5 I sold. I thought cutting the middle shelf was a good idea, you're able to use all the original fans and leave space over the motherboard. Good job.

Awesome!, Good work sir!. You've been adventurous and moved things about, hdd cage is a good example. I'm interested to know how you fit it, did the cage fit in the DVD slots?. I also love the CPU heat sync you reused, I have kept the coolers from another G5 I sold. I thought cutting the middle shelf was a good idea, you're able to use all the original fans and leave space over the motherboard. Good job.
Good evening, thanks for your good reaction.
Yes, the disc drive bay is removable just like the DVD drive does, you remove the metal base from the DVD drive and screw it onto the hard drive. But for this it is necessary to use the 1 single disc.

g5 caddy.jpg

1 disk

pmg5-hd-carrier.jpg

2 disks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back