Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
msi b350 pc mate
CPU
ryzen 5 1600
Graphics
gtx960
Hello,

im struggeling converting my front i/o. So here is my plan: I only want the powerbutton to work + light up & the led above to work as hdd_led (if that is even possible).

So from those 3 wires I somehow need to get:
Power LED +
Power LED -
Power_SW +
Power_SW -
& optional if this is even possible:
HDD_LED +
HDD_LED -

in order to be able to plug everything into my motherboard.

I will discard the rest of the i/o since its really outdated and will replace it with a extra board (picture included if you are interested)

So here is the question: is there a adapter cable from this strange 3 pin to something "normal" that I can plug into my motherboard? If not, how would I need to wire it up in order to work?

Greetings,

momo
1.jpg
2.jpg

I don't think there is any plug and play option to connect directly to the button's pcb. There was one that plugged in to the other pcb with I/O. I didn't keep mine either, because I wanted usb 3.

It is super simple though to wire that button and light directly.
vJCRwcb.jpg

+ power switch on the right and the + led on the left. The center is ground. Initially I had just soldered additional wire to the button's wire after I had clipped it at the connector. Unfortunately clumsy me stepped on it and accidentally yanked it off the pcb while doing other work to the case.

As to the led question, you have to choose one. Either wire the existing led to hd, or to power status. Either will work easily, or add a second light. I seem to remember somebody on this forum doing just that.

HDD_LED +
HDD_LED -

Regarding the HDD LED, I had a RESET button with an integrated HDD LED from my old case.
What I did was to make a bracket to hold the reset button so it can be mounted just behind the front of the case (using the existing case bolt).

The two wire pairs are wired to the standard motherboard headers.

I can now see the SATA HDD activity in the front and if the system hangs, I poke a pen onto the LED which in turn presses the reset button.

If you have just an LED, you can do something similar by making a bracket with a hole big enough to hold the LED.
Alternative is to buy an LED that is 3mm in diameter that will fit into the hole of the G5 case itself and use a small amount of epoxy glue on the inside the case to hold it. That was my original plan but since I had this neat button with an LED embedded I used that.

Click on these pics:

IMG_1348.jpg
IMG_1349.jpg
IMG_1351.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg

Last edited:
very usefull guys ! Imma try to make a 3d model for holding hdd led and front fans , 140mm should fit altho imma tey to find a psu angle adaptor for the psu to breathe the right way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back