Contribute
Register

Powermac G5 conversions 'Hal'

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the CPU and SSDs secured I then screwed the motherboard in place along with adding the ram and connecting up all of the cables. Long term I will be creating my own braided cables to give me the look I'm after.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

But I am happy with its progress so far.

Over the Christmas break I managed to pick up a secondhand Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Windforce OC for a great price. I know it's not on the list of components that won't cause an issue, but it was a good deal so I took the risk.

i then added this to the case and the extra cables it requires.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I will be adding a Blu Ray drive once my funds have recovered paying the taxman this January!

Wth everything in place I took the brave step of firing it up for the first time. Having never built a PC it was a scary moment - but luckily no pops or bangs occurred! :)

I prepared my copy of Yosemite and Unibeast using the great guide on the forum. I entered the Bios screen and changed all of the settings as the guide dictates. Then fired it up using my USB boot drive. The install started then I got the dreaded 'panic' message.

image.jpg

Tommorrow night I'll pull the graphics card and try it again using the onboard graphics and see how far I can get. Fingers crossed.

Wth everything in place I took the brave step of firing it up for the first time. Having never built a PC it was a scary moment - but luckily no pops or bangs occurred! :)

I prepared my copy of Yosemite and Unibeast using the great guide on the forum. I entered the Bios screen and changed all of the settings as the guide dictates. Then fired it up using my USB boot drive. The install started then I got the dreaded 'panic' message.

View attachment 122621
When you get that KP you'll need to use the boot flag maxmem=(1/2 of installed ram) ie if you've got 8Gb of ram installed then use maxmem=4096 You can also just try to do the install with 1 DIMM of ram.

When you get that KP you'll need to use the boot flag maxmem=(1/2 of installed ram) ie if you've got 8Gb of ram installed then use maxmem=4096 You can also just try to do the install with 1 DIMM of ram.

Your profile for the SMBIOS seems wrong. Looks like you have used MacBookPro8,1.
Try MacPro3,1

Next I offered up the PSU to the backplate and screwed it into the case. Getting it to fit perfectly was a little tricky, so I decided to use longer screws to locate the PSU first. The reason for it being tricky is that you have a backplate as well as a lot of original case material.

At this point I also offered up the SSDs into the back sled.

View attachment 122478View attachment 122477View attachment 122479View attachment 122480

I couldn't bury my drives under the motherboard like that! I swap parts between systems and mess around with my stuff far too often to have to remove the entire motherboard to get to my SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back