1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I have a powermac g4 case. I already disassembly it. Now I need some help:

Where can I find the holes to fix motherboard?
What's the easiest solution about the IO shield?
And about the air flow? It just have one fan I think it isn't enouth. How to make a good air flow without damage to much?
The best option is to keep the PSU in the original place?

My rig:
Gigabyte z68ma-d2h
i3 2105
hd 6870
ssd crucial

Have a search on the forum and read and look at the photos in the existing g4 hacks. You'll see you can't just drop a mATX board in.

Also what g4 do you have? Graphite, quicksilver, mdd, sawtooth?

Leaving a opening would be the easiest whilst hiding half of your audio ports. Again have a look at some of the mods and you'll see what I mean.

That thing is the antennae for the original airport (wifi). Not worth really trying to re-use it as the connectors will not fit current wifi cards.

It is a sawtooth model type by the looks of it, but you can check the exact model with one of the serial number lookup services such as:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

As Gus said, there are a number of mod.s you can find on this forum and on others that will show examples of using these cases.

Main things to think about are:

1. Air flow, options here are: you can cut holes in the floor and put a fan or watercooling in and still keep it looking original on the outside; you can modify the back plate and change where the power supply sits and put more fans on the back if you want; others have also cut the roof and put fans there.....

2. DVD area at the front - unless you buy your Micro ATX board very carefully you will either not be able to fit a full size DVD drive (at all) or will need to cut off some of the case of the DVD player as often the RAM or capacitors on the Micro ATX board will hit the DVD drive and stop the case closing.

3. The rear panel - most of these are not done very well and often some ports are blocked, or one of the PCI slots is lost (the pillar between the I/O panel and PCI slots is not placed well for ATX specification).

4. Motherboard mountings are in the wrong place. Options are usually to drill the door and put new mounts on and cut old mounts off.

5. Power supply - the configuration of the power supply on these is not the usual ATX configuration but it is possible to find some that will fit. You will of course though need to buy a new PSU as the Mac connections and specifications naturally are not to usual ATX standards.

You have lots of possibilities to modify and either make it look like original or make it look unique (in a good way or a bad way!). I have two of this model that I am playing with at the moment and will be sharing ideas on the forum - in fact I have 4 G4s at the moment two Sawtooth, one QUicksilver and one Mirror Drive Door. Insane I know, but I am taking them apart bit by bit and hope to make some kits to help modify them.

@minihack

Thanks a lot for the information :D
I also have more g4 cases.

I will take attention at yours g4 mod ideas and tips.

I already decide, first thing i will do is that:

"3. The rear panel - most of these are not done very well and often some ports are blocked, or one of the PCI slots is lost (the pillar between the I/O panel and PCI slots is not placed well for ATX specification)."

http://gallery.me.com/bmwalter/100017/I ... 1333700001
(from viewtopic.php?f=76&t=32279&start=0)

The problem is how to make it, maybe buy a cheap case and remove it...

jmpa said:
@minihack

Thanks a lot for the information :D
I also have more g4 cases.

I will take attention at yours g4 mod ideas and tips.

I already decide, first thing i will do is that:

"3. The rear panel - most of these are not done very well and often some ports are blocked, or one of the PCI slots is lost (the pillar between the I/O panel and PCI slots is not placed well for ATX specification)."

http://gallery.me.com/bmwalter/100017/I ... 1333700001
(from viewtopic.php?f=76&t=32279&start=0)

The problem is how to make it, maybe buy a cheap case and remove it...

I'll tell you my idea for that one. I agree the pillar must go - I think that it is better to have a solution that fits every Micro-ATX board and that has all the ports accessible. My solution is to still use the G4 plate, but to cut out the section that has the bulge - I meant cut that part out so that it is flat.
Then use 1mm ABS plastic at the back (I have measured and think it is possible to insert 1mm there and still keep the PCI slots fitting correctly) to form the ATX cut out and a piece of 2mm ABS at the front to make it look like a original type of fitting. The whole of the original moulded plastic on the outside can then either be modified with a new piece of perspex (or ABS) or the original part can be modified and used again.

It is hard to explain properly, but I am putting together the laser files for these parts and have the ABS being mailed to me.

Also for the motherboard tray I have already made a laser cut part which can be used to adapt ATX posts to fit onto the original door panel without any extra drilling being needed - just the original standoffs need to be trimmed and then the adapter plate fitted to where there are already some spare screw holes. The only compromise with that though is to throw away the plastic door locking latch and instead use spackleys method (see this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=54204) to keep the door shut.

Anyway, lots of ideas.....

Make sure you keep posting about what you do.

I understood what you mean, but I don't know no one who can made me that piece in plastic ABS. For that reason I prefer remove it from a old case.

I already cut it:

And I will buy that PSU Antec. Have almost the same size:
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product ... d=MjIzOA==

(sorry about my english)

jmpa said:
I understood what you mean, but I don't know no one who can made me that piece in plastic ABS. For that reason I prefer remove it from a old case.

I'll post pictures once the laser has done its work on mine. It will be a good experiment to see how well it works as it'll be a bit of an ABS sandwich hiding any cuts and I'll also see if it will engrave to keep the numbering on the PCI slots.
You can always PM me if you want to know anymore in the meantime. Today though a H100 and some RAM should be arriving for my G4 MDD case, so that should be fun.....

Well, I quit!

Can't align the motherboard and graphic card well. And the holes to fix motherboard don't fit well. I have no time and condition to go further with this mod.

I will buy a fractal case.

(Admin can close this topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back