Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver with a bad video card and power supply and am interested in converting it to a hackintosh. I read a forum for a build that used a Core2 Duo processor and a GA-G31M-S2L mobo. I don't think this motherboard complies with the process used on this site and was wondering of a recommended board? I'm fine with using a Core2 Duo as this is my first build and the tower will not be used for video or anything intense.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks for the links. I'll check this out. I'm looking at the following for a budget build:

G31M-S2L
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 Processor
Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2
Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 Series 430W Power Supply with 2 Fans

Pulling from old systems:

ATI Radeon 9200 MAC PCI 128MB
Pioneer DVR-112D-BK

I'm hoping to put this in the Power Mac case. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks again.

Here's what I did with my last G4 case:
medium.jpg

Hi all,

I'm finally ready to start with this project. I'm going for a budget build as this is my first hackintosh, and am hoping I picked parts small enough to fit in the Quicksilver case.

The purpose of this machine will be off site backups, and hopefully running hulu and other video to my tv.

Here's the revised list, let me know what you think.

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
Intel 2.7 E5400
Asus NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Video card
4 GB of PNY Memory
Western Digital 500GB
Thermaltake W0070RUC TR2 430W Power Supply

I've quoted this out at just under $300 before shipping, which is my budget. I'm very unsure about the power supply.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

yes that mobo is recommended, definitely.
i have done the same thing with a G3 and Q6600 + GA-G41M-ES2l

the thing is you are going to need to be inventive with your cooling. try using a centrifugal fan for exhaust in the place of the normal fan near the gpu. and place one or two normal inlet fans in the top above the optical drive.

then of course post it on insanely mac, mods and clocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back