Motherboard
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
CPU
Intel i-7
Graphics
G670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi, first time builder here. I'll cut right to it. I'd like to have a computer that can run ableton 9 and logic pro 9 also be able to run various vst's. From what I understand they consume a lot of cpu. Im stuck between going with a high end custamac pro (intel 3770k i believe) or one of the sockets, it seems from what i've read that there is some minor issues with the socket. Will I get that much more performance out of a socket machine, and if so how fast does my processer need to be and at what point might it be overkill? Thank you for your time.

I searched a little bit further, and for the price I am thinking about getting the socket setup with the 3930 hexa core processor. Thank you in advance if you think that will be adequate.

All way overkill. For a music production computer even an i5-3570k will be absolutely excellent. Unless you're running hundreds of tracks at once, with OSX even a processor half that powerful will be absolutely sufficient. No need to consider xeons at all - if you want to go a bit mad then get an i7 but you will not notice the difference.

Get lots of RAM. You want at least 8gb. Also an SSD; not for your samples but for your OS/apps. This will make a much bigger difference than any processor or any amount of RAM.

I use my MacBook Air - dual core i5 1.6ghz with 4gb RAM for Logic Pro and I've yet to have any latency, glitches or problems. I tend to run about 20-40 tracks all loaded with verbs, compressors, other AUs: the works. So an i5 quad core with 8gb of RAM will absolutely kick ass dude! An i7 might give you more 'peace of mind' but you're probably wasting cash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back