Graphics
9800GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm looking into building a little machine to take with me on the road. I do a lot of visual graphics & am looking for something thats super powerful & compact. Looking for something i can slam a 3ghz+ quad core & 24gb of ram~ also 2x video cards would be cool but i doubt i can slam that much in there! at least a video card with 2 ports would be nice though, one for monitor hookup & other for output.

Any suggestions on motherboards/procs/vid cards? I've seen a few out there & dont know if i should get server grade or something different, would be ideal to spend under 1000$ but can go higher! Also any motherboard that is native SATA3 so i can slap a SSD in there without having to use a 3rd party card would be nice!

Thanks Internet!

This sounds like an expensive system. Powerful small system with space for two graphics card mean that a mini-ATX board is the smallest you can use. 24GB ram is 2x8GB and 2x4GB but it is better to get 4x8GB. Memory do not cost so much today and it you plan on a expensive system just add some money to maximize it. I do not know if Crossfire/SLI is working in Mac OS X.

Sandy Bridge and later has two native SATA3 ports.

I am thinking of in the area:
CPU: Core i5 3750K / Core i7 3770K
MOTHERBOARD: Z77 chipset, 2x PCIe, one 16x one at least 8x, 4 memory slots
MEM: 4x8GB 1600 MHz sticks, CL9

I would recommend people that can wait to just wait until Apple released Mac OS X 10.8 and full support for Ivy Bridge. It will then be much easier to install at Ivy Bridge hardware. I think Apple will update Mac Mini and iMac when 10.8 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back