Contribute
Register

Powerful computer in a compact package (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
5700 XT
I want to build a powerful compact computer, fully compatible with MacOS Mojave and the following OS versions. After sitting on the forum, I made my own configuration. Tell me please, will it work? I plan to collect in the case of Dan A4-SFX, Louqe Ghost S1 or some similar, which I find on sale.

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K
Video Card: Sapphire Nitro + Radeon RX Vega 64
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz (32 GB) CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 RAM
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 SSD (1 TB)
Power supply: Corsair SF750 Platinum 750W
Wi-Fi / Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM943602CS

With the cooler, I have not yet decided, because I can not finally choose the case.

As I understand it, this build will be 100% workable, but I have one questions:

Will the Evo Plus memory work fully? Somewhere they write that there are problems with it.

I will be glad to any advice :)

Last edited:
You would be concentrating a lot of heat in a very small enclosure that will throttle the CPU and GPU under load. I doubt that you will be able to use this hardware in such a small enclosure to the best of its abilities. I would think that under load the NVME might also get too hot and this will result in the NVME also throttling.

An i5-8400 with an air cooler seems to be around the sweet spot with such small cases. Some users are using i7-8700 type processors with watercooling - this option probably always needs a shorter length discrete graphics card for the case to squeeze everything into the tiny case.

The EVO plus NVME works with macOS with the latest Samsung firmware applied. This procedure must be done with Windows. If you purchase a new model, then first check to see if it has the latest firmware release which allows support OTB. Otherwise just update it prior to macOS installation.

I focus on this topic https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-gaming-itx-tb3-igpu-mojave-sff-build.277418/

Under the M2 memory on the motherboard there is a radiator.
A radiator can also store heat when the ambient temperature is high enough. The heat sink could actually attract and hold heat - they often do. Just an FYI

Everything is very difficult with the case - they are either not sold at all, or they look terribly bad. What body can still be considered? Priority for compactness and low noise at work.

You are battling the laws of physics to a degree. A large enclosure allows better and quicker heat dissipation at lower noise levels. A small enclosure has less space for numerous fans to move hot air away from CPU and GPU when they are under load and pushing out a lot of waste heat.

It isn't easy to get a small case with powerful and quiet components if you intend to use the hardware to its ability. Getting two out of three is reasonably easy, getting all three will be a challenge - the 'quiet' part may not be as silent in operation as you like. Just an FYI.

For style these small cases are all very nice and take up minimal desk space. This is why performance laptops are very noisy under load - it is also why a lot of the performance Apple products like the iMac Pro are known to throttle performance.

Your hardware will work, but you should speak with folk that have put similar small performance builds together and get their experience on performance/noise for hardware in such a small case. At least you may get some good tips and you should learn what to expect.

What do you think about the case Ncase M1?
He is second left in the photo.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 42
That is a screenshot from one of the Optimum Tech videos covering these cases. The Ncase M1 came out well for temperatures using an overclocked i9-9900K, with the same ASRock motherboard and an EVGA 1080Ti GPU. This should give you a good expectation if you use similar 240MM radiator with watercooling.

Yes, it remains to find the Ncase M1 case on sale, otherwise it is not on sale anywhere :)

Another such question. The 600 W power supply is not enough for a bundle of Intel Cote i9 (9900K) and Sapphire Nitro + Radeon RX Vega 64?

It's not about saving, but the fact that the 750 W power supply unit (Corsair SFX 750W) is not sold in my country, and its delivery can take about a month. There is only a 600 watt Corsair SF600 Gold model.

I thought that EVGA produced a higher wattage SFX model, but I cannot find it on the EVGA website. A number of other manufacturers also produce SFX models that are rated around 650W plus. 600w is a bit tight on a system like this under heavy load - the PSU fan likely to get very loud. The Corsair SF600 is well thought of as a 600W PSU - it should run fine on lower loads, but I don't know how well it may perform when pushed hard.

Silverstone have upto 800W rating SFX rated models:

Seasonic produce a 650W model:

Enermax have a 650W model:

I would personally be happier with a higher rating for your GPU and CPU preferences. What is your experience in seeing other users with similar hardware?

I thought that EVGA produced a higher wattage SFX model, but I cannot find it on the EVGA website. A number of other manufacturers also produce SFX models that are rated around 650W plus. 600w is a bit tight on a system like this under heavy load - the PSU fan likely to get very loud. The Corsair SF600 is well thought of as a 600W PSU - it should run fine on lower loads, but I don't know how well it may perform when pushed hard.

Silverstone have upto 800W rating SFX rated models:

Seasonic produce a 650W model:

Enermax have a 650W model:

I would personally be happier with a higher rating for your GPU and CPU preferences. What is your experience in seeing other users with similar hardware?
[/ QUOTE]
Thanks)

So you have to order a 750 watt power supply :)

Here's the video you talked about?

I understand correctly that for cooling you need water cooling and several Noctua NF-A12x25 coolers to replace the standard ones?

That looks like the same video - I think there was several in a series. Do you know which PSU was used for that build? I would suggest copying what he used as much as possible as it seemed to work reasonably well compared to the other cases from memory - Am I remembering correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back