Power Supply Quedtion

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Mac Mini (LATE 2012)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Hello:

I have a questio regarding PS recommended on the site I'm planning to buy the Corsair RM650. My question is there any difference between the RM models apart from the watts. Can I use any RM model on my build or do I need to specifically use the RM650 as suggested in the site.

Thank you. Any help will be really appreciated.

You could try reading some PSU reviews, say like the ones on johnnyguru.com or tweaktown.com, although there must be many more. Start by doing a google search for your model and add the word "review" at the end of the search line. I'm sure that you will get many hits. Then read them all. Or you could merely go to newegg, go to the PSU section, select 650W and filter by "best rated".

Me, I don't like the idea of a fully modular PSU, preferring soldered ATX and EPS harness wires. Personally, I will only do a PSU with all Japanese capacitors. So I went with Seasonic. ymmv.

As it pertains to any PSU you will have to take your case into consideration, you will have to research the cable lengths to ensure that the wiring hardnesses are long enough to get to all your peripherals. For instance, if you go with a full tower case you may want to select a PSU with the longest wiring harnesses lengths. Conversely if you go with a much smaller case then you'd be looking at PSU with shorter wiring harnesses lengths.

Last edited:
I will only do a PSU with all Japanese capacitors. So I went with Seasonic.

I was looking at a 650W PSU on Newegg from a major PC case manufacturer (not Corsair). They of course don't make their own power supplies. They use a third party contractor. The description boldly stated "Japanese Capacitors" I then looked at some detailed reviews of this model. After the reviewer opened it up, they found some made by Nippon Chemi-Con but the majority of them were Chinese made and of much lower quality. Moral of the story, do a lot of research before buying. It saves you having to buy something twice and pay a lot more money for that part after the "lower cost" one has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back