Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Hackintoshers, Casby here, long time follower, long time listener.

Looking at a new PSU as I'm due for an update. Aside from making sure that a PSU meets your wattage requirements, efficiency preference, and has the appropriate connectors needed for each rig, are there any actual compatibility issues with PSU's? Some weird voodoo to be wary of?

Hey Hackintoshers, Casby here, long time follower, long time listener.

Looking at a new PSU as I'm due for an update. Aside from making sure that a PSU meets your wattage requirements, efficiency preference, and has the appropriate connectors needed for each rig, are there any actual compatibility issues with PSU's? Some weird voodoo to be wary of?
I have used many different brands and models with no issues as far as compatibility with MacOS.
Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, Solid Gear, even OEM (Lenovo, HP etc..), you should be ok with whatever you model you choose. Its best to rate it with plenty of headroom. If your system draws 500 watts get a 750 watt PSU this will assure longevity.

I have used many different brands and models with no issues as far as compatibility with MacOS.
Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, Solid Gear, even OEM (Lenovo, HP etc..), you should be ok with whatever you model you choose. Its best to rate it with plenty of headroom. If your system draws 500 watts get a 750 watt PSU this will assure longevity.
750w is exactly where I'm looking at, and more than enough for my build at the moment.

Currently eyeballing the Fractal Design Ion+2 Platinum 760w, and the Seasonic Focus PX-750. FD because I like them and they got real hands-on with the manufacturing, and Seasonic because of their rep and they are their own OEM.

My old Thermaltake 750w Bronze (cough cough wheeze). Seems to handle the load perfectly fine, but after 12 or so years, I'm thinking I might have pushed my luck about as far as it's going to go with this little worker.

750w is exactly where I'm looking at, and more than enough for my build at the moment.

Currently eyeballing the Fractal Design Ion+2 Platinum 760w, and the Seasonic Focus PX-750. FD because I like them and they got real hands-on with the manufacturing, and Seasonic because of their rep and they are their own OEM.

My old Thermaltake 750w Bronze (cough cough wheeze). Seems to handle the load perfectly fine, but after 12 or so years, I'm thinking I might have pushed my luck about as far as it's going to go with this little worker.
I have two Thermals one a neighbor gave me about 10 years ago, he had it for awhile as well. I have pushed it at times. It's a 480w unit and I've ran my RX480 for years on it with no issues. I'm not sure about the newer PSU models but I know reviewers like to bag on Thermaltake cases and accessory items quality. You should google the Seasonic and or Fractal and add Hackintosh in the search to see if any red flags come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back