Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys - this is going to sound terribly stupid I'm sure, but I am looking to build one of the Socket 2011 machines as listed here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/325-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2013.html but it mentions that Power management won't work ... can someone elaborate on exactly what this means in real terms - is it a problem that will cause harm to the machine?

Many Thanks,

Nick

I have a Gigabyte X79-UD3 system that has been up and running for two weeks, not a glitch and a very easy LION install, using a i7 3820 cpu.

"No Power Management" simply means the OSX Kernel will not access various power funtions (states) of your CPU such as sleep and speedstep... the CPU will simply always be running at constant "normal" full speed.

This is no real big deal, as I use the machine for video editing/rendering and would never want the machine to sleep or slow down due to what it might perceive as inactivity. The X79/2011-socket has plenty and speedy lanes for lots of SATA and PCIe connections.

You do have to add the nullcpupower management kext in Multi-beast for this build, to avoid kernel panic at shut down/restart. Although I forgot it at first and the damn thing worked anyway! (Had to hold down the power-button to completely shut down, tho.)

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back