Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Kind of a silly question, I think. I just built my first hack. It's fantastic so far. Don't have all the kinks worked out yet, but that will come. I have a Corsair AX860 PSU in a nice silver case, it almost looks like an Apple product. The problem is this ugly, black cord sticking out of it. I recently returned an iMac 5K and forgot to bring the power cord back to the Apple store. Now I have a brand new white Apple power cord. I was wondering if I can use it to power my hack. The specs on Corsair's website list this:

Screen_Shot_2017-05-02_at_12.33.08_AM.png

But my Mac cable says 10A on it. My system doesn't even begin to draw 860W, though. In fact, it's probably under 400W. I don't really know how to read this electrical stuff, it's never been something I understand! Am I safe to plug this Apple cable into my PSU and enjoy the beauty of a white power cord?

The power cable is labeled at 10A, but the power supply could draw as much as 11A. Technically is not compatible, but the power cable is almost certainly under-rated and the power supply probably rarely draws that much (1100+ watts) anyways.

I wouldn't think twice about using the 10A cable and personally would guess that it would be more likely that your toaster would spontaneously catch fire than this cause a problem. You could order a white non-Apple cable rated at 15A pretty cheaply though - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...15a+computer+cable+white&tag=tonymacx86com-20

Curious what case you used? Your build sounds very nice.

I didn't think it would be an issue either. Almost plugged it in, but figured to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about first!

I ended up using the Silverstone FT03. I wanted something that could either go on or under my desk. Both spaces are limited, so the very small, 11"x9" footprint worked out perfectly for me. It's no more space than a stack of papers. The guts are a GA-Z270MX with a 7700k cooled by the giant NH-D15S. Running on Intel graphics, the Noctua seems to work very well with this case as it gets cool air before crossing over too many components and basically just pushes all the exhaust right out the top of the case like a chimney. I have just added an Asus GTX 1060 Turbo, but I don't have it working yet. Had to go with that card because I wanted a blower card to keep with the vertical cooling flow of the case. The card is huge, but it fits juts fine in the case. Just need to see if it obstructs the airflow once I get it working. So far, it seems okay. I wish there was a shorter blower GPU, but I couldn't find one in my searching.

I really like the form factor of the case and I have no regrets choosing it over the ATX build I was planning with the GA-Z270X-UD5. I don't really need the extra PCIe slots for my use, so small size trumped expandability.

Not very great photos, but here it is. I plan to do a little cable management down the back of the case to make the cables a little neater if I keep it on the desk. If it goes on the floor, cables out the top will be perfect. In the second picture, the cable coming out the bottom is the power cable I will replace. Unfortunately, I still have black cables coming out the ports, but everything can't be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back