Contribute
Register

Post Install Failure on Haswell. Screen ending output inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
And my screen resolution is 1920x1200 which is what this %5 year old Samsung t240HD has for native resolution. What's next? Can I do the Apple-offered updates?

BTW, WildWillow, many thanks for being patient with me. You are a rarity in my nearly 50 years of experience. When I was in college I tutored a lot because I had a reputation of being patient and flexible when it came to teaching.

No problem. If you navigate to the /Extra folder and locate the Org.Chameleon.Boot.Plist and right click Open With: Text Edit you will be able to add your native screen resolution.

For example at the moment you will see

Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>

change to

Code:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1200x32"</string>

To find the the /Extra folder. Open Finder at the top of the screen click Finder>Preferences and select show Hard Disks, your root Mountain Lion installation will appear on the Desktop, Double click it and you see the /Extra folder. Then once you have edited just uncheck the selection to hide the drive.

Yes you will be able to update. Good idea is to back up your drive of any important docs etc or clone it if you have a free drive available. Once the update completes and restarts you will have to reinstall the audio by selecting your ALC8xx in MultiBeast only, no need to run everything.

Hi Wildwilow, could you possibly help me out? I am hanging at the same point that TMx86kitty was. with the SMC errors and unknown CPU model 0x3a messages. This happened after I ran the 10.8.5 update... I have re-run Multibeast, but am completely stuck. I'm at a loss. I can revert back to 10.8, but I have this feeling that it is something simple I am missing.

Hi Wildwilow, could you possibly help me out? I am hanging at the same point that TMx86kitty was. with the SMC errors and unknown CPU model 0x3a messages. This happened after I ran the 10.8.5 update... I have re-run Multibeast, but am completely stuck. I'm at a loss. I can revert back to 10.8, but I have this feeling that it is something simple I am missing.

Hi batwings.

Please could you provide your entire build description, i.e motherboard, cpu, graphics and selections you made in MultiBeast and was it a combo update or system software update, which system definition are you using. Thanks.

I am using:

MB: Gigabyte Z77x UP5TH
CPU: 4770S
Graphics: EVGA GT 640

System Desc: Mac Pro 3,1

I did a System Update, then booted fine, the first try. Did not do fun MultiBeast because I use external audio anyway. Upon next boot and all subsequent attempts, I get those error messages and a hang. Eventually it prints "considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.driver .DspFuncLib triggered rebuild"

Additional Info:
I can boot with -x flag into safe mode.

I then tried multibeast with the settings you recommended, because they all seem to apply to my build. It did not change anything for me.

I updated from 10.8 which was really stable for me, the main reason I was trying to update was to try out the latest NVIDIA drivers because I am having trouble with my 2560x1600 monitor

Thank you so much for your time!

I am using:

MB: Gigabyte Z77x UP5TH
CPU: 3770S
Graphics: EVGA GT 640

I did a System Update, then booted fine, the first try. Did not do fun MultiBeast because I use external audio anyway. Upon next boot and all subsequent attempts, I get those error messages and a hang. Eventually it prints "considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.driver .DspFuncLib triggered rebuild"

Additional Info:
I can boot with -x flag into safe mode.

I then tried multibeast with the settings you recommended, because they all seem to apply to my build. It did not change anything for me.

I updated from 10.8 which was really stable for me, the main reason I was trying to update was to try out the latest NVIDIA drivers because I am having trouble with my 2560x1600 monitor

Thank you so much for your time!

There is a slight difference in the Kexts in 10.8.5. When you mentioned that you ran MultiBeast was it the latest available. MultiBeast - Mountain Lion 5.5.2 Also selecting GraphicsEnabler=No

If you were running earlier versions I feel this may be the problem.
Lets see where this leads to get you booting from your Installation drive again.

Further question response is your system definition/mac profile.

Oops! my cpu is i7 4770S

I did use 5.5.2. Did I select appropriate options?

My System profile is MacPro3,1. I should have noted that I did make sure GraphicsEnabler=No was selected in addition to your recommendations.

Any other ideas? I saw a couple other people have this when updating to 10.8.5, but no solutions yet. What do all of those "SMC::smcReadKeyActionError" messages mean?

I did use 5.5.2. Did I select appropriate options?

My System profile is MacPro3,1. I should have noted that I did make sure GraphicsEnabler=No was selected in addition to your recommendations.

Any other ideas? I saw a couple other people have this when updating to 10.8.5, but no solutions yet. What do all of those "SMC::smcReadKeyActionError" messages mean?

I would like to run over your BIOS settings. Have you got Initial first Display set to PCI, Disable onboard graphics, also disable Vt-D. Report back. Thanks

None of those were set properly. I changed them to the way you suggested and booted normally! Thank you so so much! I would not have thought to check those on my own! Do you know why those settings were ok under 10.8 and not in 10.8.5?

Again, thank you so much for spending the time to help me out!

None of those were set properly. I changed them to the way you suggested and booted normally! Thank you so so much! I would not have thought to check those on my own! Do you know why those settings were ok under 10.8 and not in 10.8.5?

Again, thank you so much for spending the time to help me out!

You're welcome, As Apple update their OS certain things need to be updated by us. Its a different ball game now that Haswell has been released(10.8.5). What we have to realise it that OS X is written around hardware and not like Windows that is written for most platforms of computing.

Glad we figured it out. Congratulations, enjoy your evening:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back