Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I decided to try my first Hackintosh build. To be fair I actually decided to try installing macOS only after ordering parts for my new PC. It's Intel build so it should work but I didn't specifically select parts from those recommended in this site. Windows will most likely be my main operating system so dual-booting will be necessary.

My aim is to install macOS and Windows to separate hard drives like this:

m.2 SSD: Windows 10
500GB "normal" SSD: macOS + separate storage partition

Question #1: Will m.2 drive cause problems here? That drive would only be used for W10 and macOS wouldn't need to even have access to it. However bootloader should of course be able to detect it so that I can choose between different operating systems

I found this piece of information regarding Apple File System: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/apples-policy-on-apple-file-system-apfs-for-high-sierra.230533/

Question #2: Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't I still be able to split my 500GB drive in two partitions (lets say 150GB for macOS and rest to whatever filesystem) and only macOS partition would be converted to APFS? If I choose to format the remaining amount of this drive to NTFS am I able to use this storage with both Windows and macOS?

Question #3: What is the recommended way to do post-install at this moment? MultiBeast isn't yet available for High Sierra. Can I use MultiBeast for Sierra?

The m.2 drive won't cause an issue. It was supported pretty well with some patches by @RehabMan and others under Sierra, and it's almost natively supported under High Sierra. You're not even using it for macOS so that should not be an issue.

It looks like you can partition a drive that is formatted apfs, and create a partition that is either FAT or exFAT. Not sure if you can create it NTFS. At least, that's what Disk Utility shows me. I would assume Windows would be able to see the FAT/exFAT partition. You would need some sort of NTFS driver on the Mac side to write to it (and format it after partitioning I guess). The macOS installer only converts the partition you install to, to APFS, so I think your understanding is correct.

Multibeast for High Sierra is out! Woot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back