i7-3770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I have a computer where I dual boot using two separate SDDs. One drive is OSX Mountain Lion and other is WIN10 with a GTX 670 FTW graphics card. I ended up buying a GTX 1070 FTW during Cyber Monday and screwed up my motherboard (Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H) when removing the GTX 670. Accidentally bending a couple of the pins in the PCI-E x16 slot and I figure attempting to salvage it is a really bad idea and would probably cause problems to my graphics card and cause a chain reaction.

I was planning on just using my WIN10 side in the meantime and research on how I should go about upgrading the Mac OS from Mountain Lion. I've been putting it off feeling a bit nervous of going through a big OSX upgrade, but maybe there's nothing to worry about? ha... But now that I'm going to need a new motherboard and since mine is no longer on the market.... I'm seeking for some advice on what my options are I guess.

Where should I go to check how to upgrade from an the older OS of Mountain Lion? I'd imagine if I choose any of the recommended MoBos from the Buying Guide, I'd have to basically do a come setup from scratch, right?

Thank you all for you help!

Hi,

I have a computer where I dual boot using two separate SDDs. One drive is OSX Mountain Lion and other is WIN10 with a GTX 670 FTW graphics card. I ended up buying a GTX 1070 FTW during Cyber Monday and screwed up my motherboard (Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H) when removing the GTX 670. Accidentally bending a couple of the pins in the PCI-E x16 slot and I figure attempting to salvage it is a really bad idea and would probably cause problems to my graphics card and cause a chain reaction.

I was planning on just using my WIN10 side in the meantime and research on how I should go about upgrading the Mac OS from Mountain Lion. I've been putting it off feeling a bit nervous of going through a big OSX upgrade, but maybe there's nothing to worry about? ha... But now that I'm going to need a new motherboard and since mine is no longer on the market.... I'm seeking for some advice on what my options are I guess.

Where should I go to check how to upgrade from an the older OS of Mountain Lion? I'd imagine if I choose any of the recommended MoBos from the Buying Guide, I'd have to basically do a come setup from scratch, right?

Thank you all for you help!

GTX1070 isn't supported at this time. Take a look at the buyers guide or maybe you could find another GA-Z77X-UD5H second hand.

GTX1070 isn't supported at this time. Take a look at the buyers guide or maybe you could find another GA-Z77X-UD5H second hand.

Now if I were to just separate the two, scratch dual boot and keep the everything and get a new motherboard (from what's listed on the buyers guide)... Would it be very difficult to upgrade to a newer motherboard? Would I have to start over from scratch?

Thanks.

Now if I were to just separate the two, scratch dual boot and keep the everything and get a new motherboard (from what's listed on the buyers guide)... Would it be very difficult to upgrade to a newer motherboard? Would I have to start over from scratch?

Thanks.

Id recommend to start from fresh yes. And for two drives for OS X, macOS & windows will work fine.

Id recommend to start from fresh yes. And for two drives for OS X, macOS & windows will work fine.

And I'd be able to keep everything else (depending on new motherboard specs which I already see I'll need new RAM)?

And I'd be able to keep everything else (depending on new motherboard specs which I already see I'll need new RAM)?

You will most likely need a new Power Supply depending on its spec.

I've been researching and there's so many options now.

Basically, this person had a similar incident like me. My issue is the PCI-E x16 slot as well and I've only been able to find 1 person selling the same MoBo on eBay but ends in 6 days. And I just discovered seeing that it's possible to connect the card into an PCI-E x8 slot, but suffer from app/game load times.

Now I face the options of:
  1. Manage to get that same MoBo from eBay if I don't get outbid (they don't have Buy It Now enabled) :\
    Keep GTX 670 and strictly keep it as a Mac machine, then build a separate WIN10 machine with new GTX 1070.
  2. See if the Manufacturer can repair the PCI-E x16 slot (or maybe I can attempt to repair it myself...)
  3. Buy a new MoBo based on Buyer's Guide and replace/upgrade compatible components.

Very disappointed in myself for screwing up the PCI-E slot last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back