Contribute
Register

Possible to return to pristine boot state - before running Multibeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
Quadro 5000
I have been running a Hack for a few years now, and although experienced, my knowledge is full of holes. My question is how to get a machine that is having problems booting because I screwed up Multibeast, back to a state where I can boot off the USB stick made by Easybest, and then easily access the Internal hard drive to make Multibeast repairs. You have this ability after doing the first install of OSX, but it seems like you can never return to that state (#2 below). Is that correct? Perhaps I am missing something or this might be a feature request.

Equipment: An USB drive that was setup with Easybeast. A Compatible computer. An Internal hard drive.

Here are the 4 states a Hack can be in.

1) The USB drive is inserted and is the BOOT DRIVE, there is no OSX installed yet, and you use the USB to install OSX.

2) The USB drive is inserted and is the BOOT DRIVE, Multibeast has NOT been run, and you then select your Internal OSX drive.

3) The USB drive is NOT inserted (or is inserted but is NOT the BOOT Drive), Multibeast has be run, and you BOOT from the Internal OSX drive.

4) The USB drive is NOT inserted (or is but is NOT the BOOT Drive), Multibeast has be run, and you TRY TO BOOT from the Internal OSX drive, but you have installed something wrong the system will not boot. Play with flags a whole lot to try to get to boot.

I really want the ability to return to boot state #2 above. I am just unclear how to accomplish that after I have run Multibeast. Is there a flag that will let me do that? I am confounded that the USB stick boots properly every time, graphics work, not sure if its checking PCIRootUID or not. But after I run Multibeast INCORRECTLY, I can not easily return to state#2 without re-installing OSX.

Thanks
Doug

But after I run Multibeast INCORRECTLY, I can not easily return to state#2 without re-installing OSX.

Bingo! There is your answer: reinstall.

In order to reverse the effect of Multibeast, you would have to know what change each option that you chose does, and how to reverse it.

What bootloader are you using? What kind of BIOS do you have (UEFI?) Are you booting via EFI or did you install OSX in legacy through Chameleon?

I ask so I can help you avoid this problem a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back