Contribute
Register

possible to install windows on boot drive in place of OSX leaving OSX on a secondary drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Desktop iMac
CPU
i7 Intel
Graphics
GT220 Nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Someone maybe able to point me to info on this if its possible.

I currently have 3 drives with installations as below:

Drive 1) The main boot drive which currently has Lion on it and chameleon.

Drive 2) I have Lion on a second much larger drive (its currently backed up there with superduper so is bootable)

Drive 3) A large drive with just data on it

I'd like to change the info on the drives as follows:

Drive 1) What I'd like to do is erase OSX ONLY from the main boot drive but leave Chameleon on it and replace OSX by installing Windows so WIndows is the main boot drive, (it is a small drive.)

2) leave drive 2 as it is currently with the backup (bootable) osx on this larger drive so I can choose to boot into OSX from Chameleon as required.

3) Leave Drive 3 as it is as it is a purely Data drive.

Is this possible if so where do I find instructions to do this?

Thanks

I'm gonna make a suggestion: Or well first, clarification. Simply copying a boot drive with super duper to another partition or drive doesn't make it bootable. You need to also make sure you install the bootloader using multibeast to that particular drive, or else you'd never actually be able to boot from it.

So my suggestion would be, install the bootloader to drive #2, verify it works properly (boots normally) then when that's clear, wipe your drive #1 and install windows. Then in your bios change your boot priority to boot from drive #2 and just interrupt the bootloader before it automatically pulls up your OSX install. Then you can pick your windows install.

I think this would be way easier. Especially considering you're almost there.

by bootable i mean that i have made a backup onto another drive and i can choose that drive at the chameleon prompt by bashing the enter key and choosing that drive.
I wanted to keep my original drive as the main boot drive as it is a faster drive as i am wanting to use Windows as my main OS on this system and still be able to choose OSX to boot from when required. I have found that OSX is great but I dont need it on this system though i want to keep the option. I am now using my hackintosh mostly to watch movies on and Windows doesn't have the issues I have found with watching movies I cant get proper full acceleration from my video card and get occasional hesitation in a movie I tried a different card but had no joy there either so its just easier to install windows boot off it and watch movies and boot to OSX on occasion but not often as I have a MacBook Air now. So if I could keep it as I suggested it would be alot easier for me. I have asked for help but not been able to get these cards to work 100%
thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back