Contribute
Register

Possible to install new CPU/mobo without formatting drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
?
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
Asus GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have 10.6.7 running great on Q9550/Gigabyte UD3LR but I'd like to move that system to my HTPC (I play games on it) and use my new i3 2100/MSI H61M as my hack box...

Is there any way to do so without starting from scratch (format drive, reinstall OS X)?

If you are using the same graphics card, you can give it a try. If you installed with a DSDT, delete the old DSDT and try to find one for your new MB. If you used EasyBeast then I would suggest doing a forum search for the new MB and adjust the kexts as needed before moving it to the new MB.

If you get stuck when trying to boot on the new MB, you might try using the -v -x PCIRootUID=1 kernel flags and look at any output for hints as to which kexts are either conflicting or not loading.

If you just can't boot from the HDD, then go back to iBoot and delete all the kexts and DSDTs on the HDD and run MultiBeast again to install new ones, run system utilities.

SnapMan said:
If you are using the same graphics card, you can give it a try. If you installed with a DSDT, delete the old DSDT and try to find one for your new MB. If you used EasyBeast then I would suggest doing a forum search for the new MB and adjust the kexts as needed before moving it to the new MB.

If you get stuck when trying to boot on the new MB, you might try using the -v -x PCIRootUID=1 kernel flags and look at any output for hints as to which kexts are either conflicting or not loading.

If you just can't boot from the HDD, then go back to iBoot and delete all the kexts and DSDTs on the HDD and run MultiBeast again to install new ones, run system utilities.

Thanks for the info! I would use the same graphics card...I did use a DSDT before and so far I have NOT been able to find a DSDT for the new one...I used Multibeast...

I do regularly keep a backup image of the OS so it should be low risk trying what you have mentioned...if it doesn't work easily I can just use the new hardware to upgrade my Windows HTPC so either way I should be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back