CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've just tried something on my 10.13.6 Z370 Hackintosh.

I was running HFS+ which booted fairly quickly. I converted to APFS via Disk Utility - Result? Slow boot!

From some googling it seems that if you format the disk initially as APFS all is OK.

So therefore I:
CCC'd my entire boot drive to a different disk. (Inc the EFI folder) Booted off that disk.
Formatted the entire NVME EVO 970 SSD to APFS. Copied the EFI folder back.
CCC'd the whole disk back

Result: Boots as fast as it did with HFS+.

Going to monitor it over the next few days...

One reboot down, all good still..!

Thats good to hear. Let me know how your testing is going. Also what exactly does ''Boots as fast is it did with HFS+'' mean? I never used HFS+ on this drive. It takes around 5s from bios to Clover and another 25-30s from Clover to OS for me. Would be kind if you could share your time. Ty!

I think it was about ~10 sec with HFS from clove to desktop, went up to about 45 seconds after conversion to APFS, now back down under 15.

Interesting you had this experience. I just got done doing a new install directly to 10.13.6 and went straight to AFS on the exact same NVME EVO 970 SSD drive as you, only to find I was less than impressed with the boot time. I was sitting about 35-40 seconds.

I CCCed everything over to a backup drive, formatted the drive as HFS+, reinstalled clover/efi after copying my system back to the now HFS partition, and boot time is sitting at about 8 seconds, and generally feels more responsive. Kind of sad, as I wanted to keep AFS, but...the difference in boot time is unmistakeable.

I'm tempted to try to go backward one day, but I'm not sure it will fix it. Perhaps?

My timings were way off it seems.

Currently 30 seconds from clover to desktop. HFS+ wasn't any quicker.

Need two 970 EVO drives to test one HFS+ and other APFS!

My machine has never booted in 8 seconds even first boot after install! How on earth does yours do that?

Yeah, having two drives would make for a nice test, but I've only one. I've got another m2 for a dual boot with Windows, but it's not NVME.

I'm not really sure why there's such a difference in boot times between us. My system has been super speedy ever since the conversion, I truly can't complain, not that I shut it down all that often, as it's usually left to sleep. Due to that fact alone, I almost put it back to AFS, but...I can't help but feel the system is a bit snappier overall on HFS. That could, and likely is however, just a placebo effect. :p

Seems something has changed somewhere, getting the APFS slow boot issue again.

More an annoyance than a problem - wish we could fix it as I suspect APFS will become the requirement in the next year or so..!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back