Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Got my Hackintosh up and running with minimal fuss, surprisingly. All seems good in general although I think I've picked up on one possible issue. It should be said in terms of relevant knowledge I'm a bit behind the drag curve so I might be missing something obvious.

I'm running High Sierra, ASUS z370-P with an i7 8086K. My BIOS came with a few different profiles in terms of CPU speed. Last night I tried them all and they seemed to be working nicely when benchmarking (4, 4.4 and 4.8GHz). I ran Intel Power Gadget for a while and although I didn't record anything (d'oh), I'm sure the CPU speed was varying up and down whilst doing 'normal' tasks on the Mac (Safari etc).

Left it overnight to do a Time Machine backup, after which it went to sleep. This morning the CPU seems to be sitting at max speed the whole time regardless of what I'm doing. If I run Geekbench it varies but presumably that's part of the benchmarking process. After that it kicks back to max speed. I tried different BIOS profiles and each one pretty much stays at the relative maximum speed for that profile. I checked activity monitor and although there were a few background things using significant CPU power at various times, even when these were not running the speed was still showing as max each time.

I have had a read of the SSDT post on here but I'm not sure if it applies to me as I didn't see my Coffee Lake CPU listed. As I said above I'm not too clued up on this side of things so apologies if I'm asking something pretty basic. Any help much appreciated!

Hi achillespilot,
I'm attempting to run a very similar build to yours right now (I am a first timer myself!).
Did you have any issues getting past the apple logo? I am having an issue where, on a verbose boot, I am seeing something along the lines of "End Randomseed ++++++++++++", followed by this (see attached) error (which I suspect is a kernel panic?).

Additionally, if you did anything special to your EFI, would you be so kind as to share it with a fellow musician? My primary goal with getting this baby up and running is to run Logic on it!

Not 100% sure, as this is my first post, but I believe that my spec should be in my signature, and/or under my username! I've been at this for about 3 days now, trying and reading absolutely everything. If you or anyone else could shed some light onto this error, I'd be eternally grateful!

Edit: Mods, if this is highjacking, please let me know, and I will make a separate post!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.44.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.44.16 PM.png
    672.4 KB · Views: 87
Hi mate, I’m on my phone at the moment but I’ll upload my EFI file later. Unfortunately I can’t really give you any help other than that, as mine seemed to just work other than the issues described above (which have now fixed themselves). I did a ‘vanilla’ install (not using uni or multibeast) and kind of followed 2/3 guides at once so I reckon I just got lucky.

Hi mate, I’m on my phone at the moment but I’ll upload my EFI file later. Unfortunately I can’t really give you any help other than that, as mine seemed to just work other than the issues described above (which have now fixed themselves). I did a ‘vanilla’ install (not using uni or multibeast) and kind of followed 2/3 guides at once so I reckon I just got lucky.
Happy to receive any help that you're willing to give, my friend! If it's not too much to ask, would you happen to remember which guides you followed (or took a synthesis of?). Thanks!

Here you go, just make sure you rename it after extraction. As far as the guides go I read quite a few things on here, also theres a 'Vanilla Hackintosh' guide on ****** that helped loads too. Good luck, hope it works!

Attachments

• EFI_copy.zip
    17.2 MB · Views: 100
Here you go, just make sure you rename it after extraction. As far as the guides go I read quite a few things on here, also theres a 'Vanilla Hackintosh' guide on ****** that helped loads too. Good luck, hope it works!
Dude, thanks a million! I will definitely give this a try. As a follow up question, would you happen to know exactly where it was that you changed your specific BIOS/UEFI options? I've followed the standard guides, but there's some disparities between them (i.e. whether or not to turn off CMS). I also haven't been able to locate this mythical "CFG Lock" that every guide that I've read thus far refers to. I am on BIOS v1002.

Apologies for any tedium, I know you are new to this as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back