Contribute
Register

Possible fix for usb [Gigabyte]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Possible fix for usb

Have you check out this:

5.19 Integrated USB 2.0 Rate Matching Hub 5.19.1 Overview
The PCH has integrated two USB 2.0 Rate Matching Hubs (RMH). One hub is connected to each of the EHCI controllers as shown in the figure below. The Hubs convert low and full-speed traffic into high-speed traffic. When the RMHs are enabled, they will appear to software like an external hub is connected to Port 0 of each EHCI controller. In addition, port 1 of each of the RMHs is muxed with Port 1 of the EHCI controllers and is able to bypass the RMH for use as the Debug Port.
The hub operates like any USB 2.0 Discrete Hub and will consume one tier of hubs allowed by the USB 2.0 Spec. section 4.1.1. A maximum of four additional non-root hubs can be supported on any of the PCH USB Ports. The RMH will report the following Vendor ID = 8087h and Product ID = 0020h.

Architecture
A hub consists of three components: the Hub Repeater, the Hub Controller, and the Transaction Translator.
1. The Hub Repeater is responsible for connectivity setup and tear-down. It also supports exception handling, such as bus fault detection and recovery and connect/ disconnect detect.
2. The Hub Controller provides the mechanism for host-to-hub communication. Hub- specific status and control commands permit the host to configure a hub and to monitor and control its individual downstream facing ports.
3. The Transaction Translator (TT) responds to high-speed split transactions and translates them to full-/low-speed transactions with full-/low-speed devices attached on downstream facing ports. There is 1 TT per RMH in the PCH.
See chapter 11 of the USB 2.0 Specification for more details on the architecture of the hubs.

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/322169.pdf page 220

Yes
In Gigabyte boards the RMH is disabled (for now)
this device doesn't show under windows/osx/linux
we need Gigabyte to enable it and our problems will be over :D

Ok, so I've moved this topic to the New Projects forum. Just a heads up to everyone who's participated so far. I'm thinking we should create a Google Doc or something so we can all help edit and add ideas to the Open Letter to Gigabyte.

Seems that only direct communication with the manufacturer will solve this issue. :)

Have your tried this in the DSDT for the UHCI ports?

Name(_UPC, Package(){
0xFF, // Port is connectable
0xFF, // Connector type (N/A for non-visible ports)
0x00000000, // Reserved 0, must be zero
0x00000000}) // Reserved 1, must be zero

Name(_PLD, Buffer(0x10){
0x81, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
0x30, 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00})

This is from the MS doc you linked and is described as for when a "Port is directly hard-wired to an integrated device, such as a laptop webcam or an internal USB hub."

Yes, it's the first I tried
it's similar to the iMac UHC's
it's doing something because the same usb port linked with a different EHCI port
(when connecting USB 2.0 device to the same USB port you see it in the second EHCI port in system profiler and without this you see it in the first EHCI port)
but it still can't mount USB 1.0

Has anyone yet found or can explain what bits/registers, in the P55 specs, are actually used to define whether RMH is enabled or disabled?

I've seen several references to stuff like 'when RMH enabled...',
eg: RMHWKCTL, PORTSC, MISCCTL, D26IP

But can't find at all any place where it says how to actually enable RMH!!!

Seems like this is the first step (irrespective of whether something that could be done in DSDT, or is a WO setting that can only be done by BIOS s/w routine).

That's what I think too
I post a thread about it in insanelymac (no replays for the past three days)
I believe that it's up to Gigabyte to enable it and we'll have to wait (and hope)

Hmm.. Haven't checked, as bit busy this weekend, but wonder if anyone over in Linux/Ubuntu land has figured it out...

Found it in "Intel 5 Series Chipset Datasheet Document Number: 322169-002" page 417.
RMH.png
Would it be possible to enable this in the DSDT, or does it need to be enabled in the BIOS?

Attachments

• RMH.png
    RMH.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back