Contribute
Register

Possible disadvantages for having multiple OSs on one SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
homers said:
I'm sorry I already posted my question on the multi-boot thread but maybe I fits better in here.
Further I would like to say that this a awesome forum and a great crowd the amount of information and help I found so far and received really helped me a lot in the decision process what to and where to buy :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I'm pretty sure that the question to my answer is already somewhere in the depth of this forum but even by using the search for this topic quit intensively I'm still not sure what to make out of it (i've to say I don't like the google search that much :cool: ).

I'm struggling a little bit about the possible disadvantages when putting all three of my OSs (Win7/Linux-Ubuntu/MacOS-Lion) on one SSD and just spread the data over different HDDs

Maybe I misread the multi-boot guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872 but at the end it's mentioned that when you put all OS of mutliboot system on one drive you'll have some issues with the automatic updates of MacOS and you've to apply them manually?!
The major disadvantage to putting them all on a single drive is if the drive goes bad you lose all OS's and have a rather large task to re-install all of them again.
Next, less bad, scenario is if one OS partition gets corrupted, and you have to re-install, it could also affect another partition - i.e. OS X partition has to be erased and OS X re-installed, it's not that big a deal, but if the Win7 partition goes south, then you have to go back and re-install Chimera before you can boot from the HDD again because Win7 over-wrote the boot partition again and erased your boot1h file. If you have to re-install Ubuntu, you have to remember to make sure you install grub to the root and not to the HDD - something that is usually forgotten until you can only boot grub and then you tear your hair out and scream AAARRRGGHHHHH!!!! before you go back and fix it- a time consuming process. Then you have to re-sync all the partitions.

The problem with the auto updates not working you mention being at the end of the guide only applies to you if you restored OS X to a MBR formatted HDD. If you installed OS X properly to a GPT+ HDD/SSD, auto updates should work just fine. i have never had a problem with it for the last 3 years on my X58A-UD7.

If you must install multiple OS's on a single drive, then consider installing the OS only and moving all Users/Apps/Home files to another HDD, preferably separate ones for each OS.

And I thought I had it all figured out :banghead:

Thank you guys very much for your information I now have a much better understanding what needs to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back