Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone. I've finally decided to attempt a build, and want to go all out when I do it.

Here are the parts

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FPB Video ...

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...

SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) x 2 (one for windows, one for mountain lion)

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I've read up on a lot of the posts on here today and know that the mobo and processor combo is possible. My main concern is the gpu. I've seen some posts of fixes for it, so that is promising. I eventually will want to buy another one and use it in sli. If that is even possible, would the psu be able to handle 32gb of ram plus 2 graphics cards?

I'm planning on buying these parts in the next 2 days, so hopefully there are no problems with this setup.

Thank you.

I've read up on a lot of the posts on here today and know that the mobo and processor combo is possible. My main concern is the gpu. I've seen some posts of fixes for it, so that is promising. I eventually will want to buy another one and use it in sli. If that is even possible, would the psu be able to handle 32gb of ram plus 2 graphics cards?

I'm planning on buying these parts in the next 2 days, so hopefully there are no problems with this setup.

Thank you.

Might be close, but you can check it with the calculator here http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html
Just put in all your hardware - I would suggest using High End Desktop for motherboard.
You do know that the SLI will not work in OS X? SLI / Cross Fire are Windows only.

The calculator said 485 watts. And yes, I am aware of sli being windows only. I plan to game with Windows so that's the only reason I would add another gpu. I know I'm going to have to buy a USB keyboard and mouse as well. Since I'm using 4x8gb sticks, will that be a problem on install? I remember reading somewhere about not using more than 4gb while installing. If there are no other issues I'm going to buy tonight

The calculator said 485 watts. And yes, I am aware of sli being windows only. I plan to game with Windows so that's the only reason I would add another gpu. I know I'm going to have to buy a USB keyboard and mouse as well. Since I'm using 4x8gb sticks, will that be a problem on install? I remember reading somewhere about not using more than 4gb while installing. If there are no other issues I'm going to buy tonight

4 gig while installing is from Snow Leopard - just install all the ram, put memtest+ prime95 on a USB drive, plug it in and boot without a hard drive, letting it boot the USB to run the memtest. let it run at least 7 iterations to really test the ram. If all OK, complete your build and install.

I just bought the same mobo and processor but got the GTX 670 FTW and had the same question. Not all PSU calculators are the same. I bought a 750W in hopes of doing SLI for gaming in windows and the calculator I used showed I would have plenty of power. This one says I'll be underpowered for my system. :/

I guess you should be generous!

Ps. Have you looked at different cases? After I don't know how many hours of research, I picked up the Cooler Master HAF XM mid case (ATX). I love it! http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257&Tpk=cooler master haf xm

It can fit up to 3 SLI cards and it's not as huge as the full towers (obviously)

Good luck!

I just bought the same mobo and processor but got the GTX 670 FTW and had the same question. Not all PSU calculators are the same. I bought a 750W in hopes of doing SLI for gaming in windows and the calculator I used showed I would have plenty of power. This one says I'll be underpowered for my system. :/

I guess you should be generous!

Ps. Have you looked at different cases? After I don't know how many hours of research, I picked up the Cooler Master HAF XM mid case (ATX). I love it! http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257&Tpk=cooler master haf xm

It can fit up to 3 SLI cards and it's not as huge as the full towers (obviously)

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll upgrade to the 750 watt PSU just to be safe. I eventually want to build an unraid server as well as a plex Server so any of the parts I am buying now will be with me for a long time. It might take a few years but hopefully it'll become a reality. I'm going to stick with well known parts for now (since this is my first build).

And thanks for the response about my ram question and the advice to run memtest and prime 95

For SLI systems, get 750 W. For single GPU GTX670, 500 W is enough.

I am running a 4 GHz i7-3770k and a 1250 MHz Asus GTX680 on a 4 year old 550 W "Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro" PSU. Works absolutely fine.
I think about 95% buy too big PSUs for their systems which is uneffective in terms of cost and power consumption.

Even though you are going for liquid cooling... I would still recommend getting low profile RAM. I made the mistake of getting the vengeance RAM and they get in the way :/ Just my opinion, though.

Any advantages to get low profile ram other than the physical size? And I see that the custo Mac guide has older versions of the PSUs when you click the amazon link

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the newer version?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LVUPZQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20. (old)

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Certified-Modular-HX750/dp/B0090I9VZI/ref=dp_ob_title_ce. (New)

The only reason I could think of would buy if it will still sit properly in the case, but it should fit.

Thanks again everyone

Another question. I am deciding to go with a 660ti instead of a 560ti. I then saw this option http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810

its a 660ti superclocked edition for only 10 dollars more than the regular 660ti. obviously i would want to get that card instead, but is it still workable in mountain lion? I don't want to get it if it's just going to be useless or cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back