Contribute
Register

Possibility of Tiger Lake Integrated Thunderbolt 4 Controller Support (AppleThunderboltHALType4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
[Surface Pro 8]
CPU
i5-1135G7
Graphics
Iris XE
Hi -- I am new to this forum, and have decided to make this post since I have not been able to find the answer.

The discussion on Tiger Lake CPU appears to be heavily focused on the incompatibility of the Iris Xe controller. I have seen no discussion, however, on whether the integrated Thunderbolt 4 controller can also be supported (e.g., using the AppleThunderboltHALType4 driver that Apple made for the Ice Lake integrated Thunderbolt 3 controller). The closest discussion I have come across is in the context of the discrete TB controller for desktops (understandably, most users on this forum favor desktop builds).

If this is possible (or, at least, if we could treat the TB4 as a simple non-hot-pluggable PCIe bridge), then Tiger Lake can still be supported using a compatible eGPU notwithstanding lack of iGPU support. However, this level of technical details is beyond my ability -- hence this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back