Contribute
Register

Porting Linux driver for Intel GMA4500MHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pct

Motherboard
HP Elitebook 840 G6
CPU
i5-8365U
Graphics
UHD 620
Hi all,

As a lot of people, I am sad to own a laptop with GMA Intel 4500MHD, i.e. without QE/CI.

Reading the thread of Lnx2Mac's porting Realtek RTL81xx Driver to MacOS, I was thinking if same thing should not be done with the Intel 4500?

If a driver exist in Linux world, it means code exist to activate the Intel HW (which might solved the issue of having almost no documentation from Intel if I'm not wrong).

On the other hand, if documentation exists on Apple side to write video driver, we should then need to "make the bridge" by using the Linux driver example to code a MacOS one.

Do I miss something? Is is feasable, at least on paper?

I can imagine this would be quite difficult and consuming but knowing the number of people waiting for this and the number of people trying to patch Apple's driver, is this not the right approach and way to federate all energies?

What's your view?

pct said:
Hi all,

As a lot of people, I am sad to own a laptop with GMA Intel 4500MHD, i.e. without QE/CI.

Reading the thread of Lnx2Mac's porting Realtek RTL81xx Driver to MacOS, I was thinking if same thing should not be done with the Intel 4500?

If a driver exist in Linux world, it means code exist to activate the Intel HW (which might solved the issue of having almost no documentation from Intel if I'm not wrong).

On the other hand, if documentation exists on Apple side to write video driver, we should then need to "make the bridge" by using the Linux driver example to code a MacOS one.

Do I miss something? Is is feasable, at least on paper?

I can imagine this would be quite difficult and consuming but knowing the number of people waiting for this and the number of people trying to patch Apple's driver, is this not the right approach and way to federate all energies?

What's your view?
Where to find documentation on Apple side to write video driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back