Contribute
Register

Poll: Modular vs Non-Modular PSU?

In terms of functionality, is a modular worth the 15-20% higher price?

• Not really

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i3-4130
Graphics
GT 1030
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I’m planning on building a Hackintosh in a year or two. I’ll use a non-modular PSU to save some money. I’ll be using an ATX case. In terms of functionality, would you go with a modular PSU or a non-modular one? Is a modular PSU worth the 15-20% higher price?

Last edited:
I’m planning on building a Hackintosh in a year or two. I’ll use a non-modular PSU to save some money. In terms of functionality, would you go with a modular PSU or a non-modular one? Is a modular PSU worth the 15-20% higher price?

In terms of functionality, no, not worth it.
In terms of saving space in a small case, very much worth it.
OTOH, I prefer the 24-pin board power and 4/6/8 pin CPU power cable to be soldered to the power rails in the PSU rather than modular connections. IMHO, this is the more reliable connection for these essential cables.
For the rest of the cables, modular is better since you can connect only the ones you need and are not left with this great wad of coiled/folded cables crammed into whatever space you can find for it.
For a mini ITX build in a small case modular is almost an essential.
If you are building an ATX build with a large case and not using all of the HDD slots, removing some of them and/or using their space for cable storage is no big deal and it gets the cables tucked away from the air flow space and neatly out of sight if you have a window side panel.

Disclaimer * I hate cable clutter with a passion*

In a ATX format case, I would go semi-modular, nothing less.
In mATX fully modular nothing less
in miniITX, Silverstone Strider + short cable kit (unless you are able to make your own)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back