Contribute
Register

Plug and Play Laptop for Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is an atom with a gig of ram really THAT slow? I really need something just for recording music... I dont care about it being super fast.. but if it's SUPER dog slow then it's not worth it....

Trust me- you will NOT want to do any audio recording on an Atom. Especially running OS X. It's just too slow. It will not be a good experience at all.

:thumbdown:

I've done minor recording on my PowerBook G4 running Leopard, which is roughly equivalent to the power of the Atom. If I do more than a few effects or tracks in Garageband it comes to a screetching halt. The worst is the read/write speed of the hard drives they put in netbooks- that will bring performance down. I guess unless you have a giant SSD in there. The most annoying part was that I couldn't record more than about 20 minutes straight without the disk cache bogging out and crashing Garageband. (Tested in lecture and recording a rehearsal.)

And forget about running Logic.

I could be wrong with the newer Atoms, but they haven't improved much as far as I know. Anyone have any good luck with recording on netbooks?

I wouldn't probably use a netbook for audio, unless you're basically just going to use it like an oversized digital recorder. It's probably better to spend a bit more and get something with more heft to it. The hassle it saves you will probably be worth the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back