Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I'm in desperate need of help on this one.

I have (had) a perfectly running Hackintosh but decided to change the motherboard and CPU. So I picked a qualified motherboard and started upgrading.

My previous setup for the OS was the following:

Sierra on a SSD 256 Gb
The users folders and medias on a 1Gb Sata 3.5"

Placing the drives in the new case I was struggling with the sata cables and I broke the small L shaped plastic part on the little sata connector of the 1Gb drive.

So now when I boot, I'm stuck on the Apple logo and the loading bar won't move a bit, probably because the OS can't find and load my user profile.

Do I have a way to recreate a user profile on the SSD ?
If I go to a repair shop can they replace the broken part of the drive without wiping it ?
I had a backup with Carbon Copy, on another external drive, can I start it and restore my profile on the SSD ?

Thanks a lot.

Yeah I'm kinda panicking now...

I came across these steps to create a new account via Single User mode. It's worth giving it a shot:

1. Boot into Single User Mode ⌘ + S.
  2. Mount the drive by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  3. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  4. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  5. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Update ! :)

I've put everything back in my good old case and managed to kinda fix the sata connection. Now it boots back perfectly. It also booted back up to the user login (when I enter my password) with only the OSX ssd drive in. It denied my access thoug, as it couldn't find the profile.

So this probably means there's something wrong with the motherboard I'm using for the new setup. I'm pretty certain it's a hackintosh compatible one: Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, with 46Gb of DDR4.

The motherboard itself is fine as it boots on my W10 drive with no problem.

Any ideas ?

One reason I enable root. root uses /var/root

You said you were able to fix the SATA connector? So does that mean the original drive is functioning okay?

I don't think Motherboard issues would prevent you from logging in.

I'm guessing that it isn't mounting the 1TB drive in the correct spot. The new motherboard might be assigning it a different UUID or /dev/ designation, therefore it doesn't mount it under /<directory>, but rather /Volumes/<directory> or vise-versa. (just an example). Bet the networking will be broken too. That you can fix inside the GUI once you get logged in.

@theclaw, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back