Contribute
Register

Please Help!!! Windows = 4k @ 60Hz (Yyaaayyy!!) , Mac = 4k @ 30Hz (Booooo!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790k / 16Gb HyperX Savage
Graphics
MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G SLI
Hi fellow Hackintoshers.

I'm a bit perplexed, so could someone please help me. Here I'll explain why.

I recently bought an LG 40UB800V (UK) version and I run Windows 8 & OS X 10.10.3 (iMac 14.2) on my mackintosh.

Now, I have an MSI GTX 980 installed in the computer and here's what I've found.

I am able to run Windows @ Full 4k @ 60Hz, I've been playing Crysis 2 on High 4k settings and it is great, with no noticable lag, which makes me very happy.

However, it's a different story when I try and run OS X, I find the absolute Max I can run is 4K @ 30Hz.

The big question is why can I run @ 60Hz on Windows & only 30Hz on Mac?

Many thanks in advance for replies:).

You can try to use the MacPro 6,1 system definition as an iMac never outputs 4k video, let alone 4k @ 60 Hz.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yea, that's right although I did try 6.1, however I wasn't able to get the nVidia drivers to work on it, could this be because the new Mac Pro uses AMD cards or has anyone had success running nVidia on the 6.1?

Thanks again :D

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yea, that's right although I did try 6.1, however I wasn't able to get the nVidia drivers to work on it, could this be because the new Mac Pro uses AMD cards or has anyone had success running nVidia on the 6.1?

Thanks again :D
Looks like you're connecting your TV using HDMI 2.0. With HDMI, OS X is limited to 4K at 30Hz. It's just not going to do 60Hz. You need Displayport for that.

You can try to use the MacPro 6,1 system definition as an iMac never outputs 4k video, let alone 4k @ 60 Hz.

I beg to differ...
Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 21.01.49.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back