CPU
Intel® Core™ i5-4690K Processor
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (4 GB)
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I have a motherboard asrock z97 pro4 with an I5 4690, 2 x 4gb gskill 1600 ddr3 and a ssd with windows 10 and another ssd with Sierra. The motherboard does not work anymore and I'm going to buy a new one but it's hard to get a new one with a z97 chipset. Could I change to another chip without change the system? for example: b85 chipset.
What I want to say is that if I change the motherboard I have to rebuild the mac system? Thank you very much.

Hi, I have a motherboard asrock z97 pro4 with an I5 4690, 2 x 4gb gskill 1600 ddr3 and a ssd with windows 10 and another ssd with Sierra. The motherboard does not work anymore and I'm going to buy a new one but it's hard to get a new one with a z97 chipset. Could I change to another chip without change the system? for example: b85 chipset.

What I want to say is that if I change the motherboard I have to rebuild the mac system? Thank you very much.

Replace your motherboard with one that uses the B85 or H81 chipset and you can continue to use your CPU and RAM. Note that H81's specification is inferior with fewer USB ports, SATA ports and (usually) only 2 RAM slots.

Replace your motherboard with one that uses the B85 or H81 chipset and you can continue to use your CPU and RAM. Note that H81's specification is inferior with fewer USB ports, SATA ports and (usually) only 2 RAM slots.
Thanks for your reply but doing that can I continue to use SIERRA system without touch it or rebuilt? Thanks.

Thanks for your reply but doing that can I continue to use SIERRA system without touch it or rebuilt? Thanks.

I think you should be able to, but I can't be 100% sure as I don't use Haswell hardware myself.

I have done some motherboard replacements in the past, from a H67 motherboard (GA-H67A-UD3H-B3) to a P67 motherboard (GA-P67A-UD3R) to a Z68 motherboard (GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 / GA-Z68XP-UD3R / GA-Z68A-D3H-B3) and I was able to continue using the installed Mac systems from Mountain Lion to El Capitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back