3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I'm about to start building my first hackintosh and would really appreciate help in confirming the hackability of my list, and any other input the tonymac community could offer.

I think I've settled on a list of components for the machine, which will replace a Late 2009 Mac mini. I'd like the new machine to handle Plex/HTPC duties, possibly some light gaming, and photo editing.

Case: Fractal Design Node 605
CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: GA-H77N-WIFI
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: WD 1.5TB Caviar Black
Graphics: GT640 (GV-N640OC-2GI)
PSU: Corsair CX500M

Already owned:
HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Green
ODD: Apple 857CA Superdrive (salvaged from Early 2007 MacBook Pro)

I'll be using ethernet so no need for wifi and will use on-board mPCIe card for Bluetooth.

Searching through the forums has been a huge help and I've already gotten some great advice, but I've got a couple questions that I can't find answers to elsewhere that I was hoping someone could help me with:

- Will it be a problem to run video out over DVI and HDMI (two displays, via GPU) and audio out via motherboard Optical?
- What machine definition would be best here?
- Is the stock cooler likely to be sufficient? I plan to add another HDD down the line if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate any and all ideas.

Hi, I'm about to start building my first hackintosh and would really appreciate help in confirming the hackability of my list, and any other input the tonymac community could offer.

I think I've settled on a list of components for the machine, which will replace a Late 2009 Mac mini. I'd like the new machine to handle Plex/HTPC duties, possibly some light gaming, and photo editing.

Case: Fractal Design Node 605
CPU: i5 3570K
Motherboard: GA-H77N-WIFI
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: WD 1.5TB Caviar Black
Graphics: GT640 (GV-N640OC-2GI)
PSU: Corsair CX500M

Already owned:
HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Green
ODD: Apple 857CA Superdrive (salvaged from Early 2007 MacBook Pro)

I'll be using ethernet so no need for wifi and will use on-board mPCIe card for Bluetooth.

Searching through the forums has been a huge help and I've already gotten some great advice, but I've got a couple questions that I can't find answers to elsewhere that I was hoping someone could help me with:

- Will it be a problem to run video out over DVI and HDMI (two displays, via GPU) and audio out via motherboard Optical?
- What machine definition would be best here?
- Is the stock cooler likely to be sufficient? I plan to add another HDD down the line if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate any and all ideas.

For stated usage, depending on what you mean by "light gaming" you won't need the 640 gfx card at all. The onboard HD4000 is capable of streaming video.
Not sure about the optical audio out on that board, but should work, although might need a DSDT edit.
Otherwise, you should be able to use at least the DVI and HDMI video out ports on the mainboard for graphics and possibly even the DP port if you want 3 screens.

Try the MacMini6,1 - it is probably the closest. You might also want to look at the User Builds Forum and search for a match to your board/CPU and see what others have used.

Thanks Going Bald for the quick reply and advice.

I've thought about the need (or lack thereof) for a GPU but decided to include it since it's a relatively low cost and provides a bit more flexibility.

After reading your comments, I realized that I may not need optical out and could just run audio and video over the HDMI from the GPU, just a bit anxious about the initial setup.

I'll try Mac mini 6,1 - any things to look out for? I must confess I'm a bit confused, despite having read through several guides, about how system definition impacts performance/functionality.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back