CPU
X5650
Graphics
HD 7970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After a long couple of days trying to update Clover and get it to boot - I need help.

I have a Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb SSD. I have the EFI partition as FAT32. Every time I install clover to this partition then reboot, the partition becomes unbootable, forcing clover to boot from another working EFI partition. and I have to try and figure out why. I have tried cloning my working EFI partition, using windows, following the steps on this and other sites, etc.

Any ideas on why this partition will not stay as a working EFI boot partition? I can get it to install, just will not survive a boot. Could the SSD be the problem?

After a long couple of days trying to update Clover and get it to boot - I need help.

I have a Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb SSD. I have the EFI partition as FAT32. Every time I install clover to this partition then reboot, the partition becomes unbootable, forcing clover to boot from another working EFI partition. and I have to try and figure out why. I have tried cloning my working EFI partition, using windows, following the steps on this and other sites, etc.

Any ideas on why this partition will not stay as a working EFI boot partition? I can get it to install, just will not survive a boot. Could the SSD be the problem?

Did you update the config.plist in the SSD EFI/Clover folder? Try this: copy your working EFI folder from your USB to desktop. Install Clover to the SSD - it should mount the SSD EFI partition when done. Replace the EFI folder in the SSD EFI partition with the one on your desktop. Reboot to SSD and see if that fixed the problem.

Yep. As soon as I reboot, the installed EFI partition does not survive, becomes corrupt, does not mount anymore. Tried some more. Seems I can format the EFI partition as FAT32, install Clover - as soon as I reboot the partition becomes Mac OSX Extended and refuses to mount with anything.

Note: The SSD is on a SATA 6 card.

Arrggg!!

Yep. As soon as I reboot, the installed EFI partition does not survive, becomes corrupt, does not mount anymore. Tried some more. Seems I can format the EFI partition as FAT32, install Clover - as soon as I reboot the partition becomes Mac OSX Extended and refuses to mount with anything.

Note: The SSD is on a SATA 6 card.

Arrggg!!
Well, duh - just noticed your sig and profile show an X58A! The BIOS on an X58A board is AMI Award BIOS - not UEFI. Cannot be booted from UEFI installed Clover, don't care what you do. Install Clover Legacy mode. When you do, EFI folder is in root just like /Extra used to be. Actually, this is easier than having to mount the EFI partition every time you want to make a change.

Yep Legacy Mode...... Even installed to another EFI partion, same way - can boot, just not from this EFI partition.

I am trying to not do a erase and reinstall, would take hours that I do not have. If the partition is corrupt in some way, what is the easiest way to fix the EFI partition? (I have tried Windows, and several of the commands online).

Yep Legacy Mode...... Even installed to another EFI partion, same way - can boot, just not from this EFI partition.

I am trying to not do a erase and reinstall, would take hours that I do not have. If the partition is corrupt in some way, what is the easiest way to fix the EFI partition? (I have tried Windows, and several of the commands online).
What EFI partition? Did you not read GB's post, that is not a UEFI motherboard so install Clover legacy which creates a EFI folder on the HD root... If for some reason you still believe you have a EFI partition then run diskutil list in Terminal and post the screenshot of the results...

EDIT: If you're doing what I suspect you have, you can't just create a partition on one of your drives and call it EFI.

The EFI partition that is created during every OS X install. Followed instructions on this site to install Clover on the EFI partition in legacy mode. Also, tried various instructions found on other sites to install in Legacy mode. Maybe I cannot follow those steps.... Still testing.

Well darn... May have messed up my EFI partition. Looks like a reinstall is due, unless I can finally figure out why I cannot boot, now I am getting boot0, boot1, init5 errors :(

Well darn... May have messed up my EFI partition. Looks like a reinstall is due, unless I can finally figure out why I cannot boot, now I am getting boot0, boot1, init5 errors :(
Use EFI Mounter V2 to mount the drive EFI partition.
DELETE EVERYTHING IN THAT EFI PARTITION!!
INSTALL CLOVER IN LEGACY MODE

This puts an EFI FOLDER on your desktop. This folder is wher the system boots from. Replace the config.plist in the /EFI/Clover folder with the one on the USB drive.
Run the post install Essentials package to install FakeSMC. etc.
Reboot, select the NON-UEFI drive with El Capitan on it to boot from the BIOS boot menu.

The EFI partition has been erased and empty, it now stays mounted after very reboot. I have tried installing Clover to the HDD a couple of ways, so probably corrupted something there too. Thank you, and if you have any more advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back