Contribute
Register

Please help a newbie, GPU advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
first of all many thanks for a great forum. It's great to see so many people working together and collaborating towards a common goal. This is my first post so please apologies if this is not the right place for the post.

A little about me:
-I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) and it has served its purposes well but it's gotten old (and very slow) and I don't want to spend $3000 USD for a Mac Pro so a Hackintosh seems like a very good option.
-I develop iOS apps for a living and I need to use Xcode 9 (+simulator) and MacOS High Sierra so I need a very stable machine.
-I do NOT play games and I don't use Photoshop so I don't need a high end GPU, just something that will allow me to program comfortably (I have a 24 inch screen) and run the simulator for every device smoothly and in a very stable manner.

Question:
Q: What is the most stable and compatible (out of the box) GPU I should by for the purposes described above ?

I will be purchasing a Gigabyte motherboard and a i7-7700 (not the K version)

Really appreciate your advice
regards
Luis

any AMD RX 560 and also any card from the buyers guide using nVidia web drivers from nVidia

Many thanks Theruck! appreciate it.
So will the RX 560 work straight out of the box, with no additional setup required ? Or is there another one you would recommend for basic iOs development that works pretty much straight Out of the box.

any AMD Polaris desktop graphics cards are plug and play in High Sierra (or even Sierra 10.12.6)
but the Nvidias are really easy to setup as well as nVidia provides drivers. If you do not need a GPU you might be ok to go for the onboard graphics on the CPU which is also supported of course

any AMD Polaris desktop graphics cards are plug and play in High Sierra (or even Sierra 10.12.6)
but the Nvidias are really easy to setup as well as nVidia provides drivers. If you do not need a GPU you might be ok to go for the onboard graphics on the CPU which is also supported of course

Ahh great.
that is the part I didn't know, dumb me. This will be my first build and I thought the onboard GPU (using the HDMI) port would not work and that I needed to install a separate GPU
many thanks

Ahh great.
that is the part I didn't know, dumb me. This will be my first build and I thought the onboard GPU (using the HDMI) port would not work and that I needed to install a separate GPU
many thanks
If you want OOB compatibility with an AMD card go with the Gigabyte RX460 or 560. For a more powerful card get a Sapphire RX 580. The brands do seem to matter when using AMD. For the 580 you'll be best off installing High Sierra to get full OOB support.

If you want OOB compatibility with an AMD card go with the Gigabyte RX460 or 560. For a more powerful card get a Sapphire RX 580. The brands do seem to matter when using AMD. For the 580 you'll be best off installing High Sierra to get full OOB support.
Might be worth mentioning to avoid XFX AMD cards they have strange non reference designs.

They also use a custom vbios that creates problems when using them with macOS.

If a user purchases one it can all be fixed by flashing to a different branded vBIOS though most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back