Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,
This is my second hackintosh, i3 Probook 4530s.
The first install was fine for a couple of days but audio/video stopped working after I installed a driver for my graphics tablet, now i did a fresh install (got rid of some crap that was on other partitions) and it was working fine for a day until i installed a lexmark printer driver and after failing to print the document it froze completely and now won't even get to the bootloader, it just says that no boot device is found and that I should install an OS on my drive. (a HDD test showed no issues)

I know I could keep fixing my installs but am I doing something wrong here?
Anyone have any idea how I'm breaking it in about a day of use every time?

Thanks
Nitsan
www.youtube.com/nitsanpictures
www.nitsan.co.uk

Hi everyone,
This is my second hackintosh, i3 Probook 4530s.
The first install was fine for a couple of days but audio/video stopped working after I installed a driver for my graphics tablet, now i did a fresh install (got rid of some crap that was on other partitions) and it was working fine for a day until i installed a lexmark printer driver and after failing to print the document it froze completely and now won't even get to the bootloader, it just says that no boot device is found and that I should install an OS on my drive. (a HDD test showed no issues)

I know I could keep fixing my installs but am I doing something wrong here?
Anyone have any idea how I'm breaking it in about a day of use every time?

Thanks
Nitsan
www.youtube.com/nitsanpictures
www.nitsan.co.uk

Be careful with what you install? And make a backup before (Time Machine), such that you can undo it.

Be careful with what you install? And make a backup before (Time Machine), such that you can undo it.

Thanks, but surely this isn't normal for the 4530s? Works fine for others, no?

Thanks, but surely this isn't normal for the 4530s? Works fine for others, no?

By be careful, I mean install things one at a time and be sure the system still works after. That way you know which 3rd party component to blame your problems on.

I doubt 'others' are installing exactly the same software as you are...

By be careful, I mean install things one at a time and be sure the system still works after. That way you know which 3rd party component to blame your problems on.

I doubt 'others' are installing exactly the same software as you are...

Yeah, but that's two installs and two complete fails after the install. Those are the only two things i installed.
Just seems to me that something is wrong.

Yeah, but that's two installs and two complete fails after the install. Those are the only two things i installed.
Just seems to me that something is wrong.

Troubleshooting 101:
- make a single change at one time, then verify everything is ok
- never make multiple changes without verification, because if you do, it is impossible to determine what change caused the problem
- have a backup so you can revert to the previous working state
- when something goes wrong, gather as much information as possible about the failure

I have installs now that have been running for months, have gone through tons of upgrades (both OS X updates, and HP Installer/kext updates).

Realize we don't know exactly what you're doing or exactly what is wrong when these 'failures' happen for you. You have not provided enough information to diagnose. So I offer the only advice I can think of.

Troubleshooting 101:
- make a single change at one time, then verify everything is ok
- never make multiple changes without verification, because if you do, it is impossible to determine what change caused the problem
- have a backup so you can revert to the previous working state
- when something goes wrong, gather as much information as possible about the failure

I have installs now that have been running for months, have gone through tons of upgrades (both OS X updates, and HP Installer/kext updates).

Realize we don't know exactly what you're doing or exactly what is wrong when these 'failures' happen for you. You have not provided enough information to diagnose. So I offer the only advice I can think of.

Thanks, I have been following that. (i have a backup, and only install one at a time, etc)
How would I be able to give more info? Is there a log somewhere on the machine that would show issues?

Thanks, I have been following that. (i have a backup, and only install one at a time, etc)
How would I be able to give more info? Is there a log somewhere on the machine that would show issues?

As much information as you're capable of gathering. In the past scenario, you said it wouldn't boot... So... could you boot using the Unibeast USB? Could you fix it by re-installing Chimera? Seems strange that a printing problem would lead to corruption of the boot loader, which seems to point more to a problem with the boot device in use. Did you try using Disk Utility from OS X Installer to do a "Verify/Repair" (using Unibeast USB)?

In addition, you haven't provided any information on your hardware... Are you using SSD? If so, do you have up-to-date firmware installed on the device? As you can tell, I'm just guessing at things that could cause problems because of the lack of information.

Your post reads like this:
"Two times now I have done a fresh install and had a working system. Then I installed some 'stuff' and it broke. Is this normal?"

Very hard to provide useful advice with the lack of information.

Also, please fill out your profile, so we can tell at a glance what hardware you have. Probably a good idea to read the rules, since the profile thing is mentioned in the rules, so I assume you haven't read them yet...

As much information as you're capable of gathering. In the past scenario, you said it wouldn't boot... So... could you boot using the Unibeast USB? Could you fix it by re-installing Chimera? Seems strange that a printing problem would lead to corruption of the boot loader, which seems to point more to a problem with the boot device in use. Did you try using Disk Utility from OS X Installer to do a "Verify/Repair" (using Unibeast USB)?

In addition, you haven't provided any information on your hardware... Are you using SSD? If so, do you have up-to-date firmware installed on the device? As you can tell, I'm just guessing at things that could cause problems because of the lack of information.

Your post reads like this:
"Two times now I have done a fresh install and had a working system. Then I installed some 'stuff' and it broke. Is this normal?"

Very hard to provide useful advice with the lack of information.

Also, please fill out your profile, so we can tell at a glance what hardware you have. Probably a good idea to read the rules, since the profile thing is mentioned in the rules, so I assume you haven't read them yet...

Hey, thanks for the info, I feel like a total noob. I'll be sure to follow the rules and add as much info as possible next time.
I'll look into the firmware and repair disk and update this post.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back