multiple cards
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Folks,

Done lots of reading here and I still feel like I"m a noob. So, posting to get some advice. I'm looking to build a system to edit and compress HD video, using Final Cut Studio apps. I'd like to overclock this in the 3.5 to 4 ghz range. I read the x58a was more easily overclockable and a better board for future proofing, but is there any reason to look at the Asus board or even a p55a? Appreciate any suggestions if you think this could be made differently.

I have a bunch of varying concerns: That it work reliably, esp. with Final Cut Studio GPU-sensitive apps, that I've not picked out incompatible components, that the fans on these cooling unit & vid card are not too loud, if there's enuf power to overclock, and generally if I'm on the right track!

Thanks!

Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R ATX Intel Motherboard

2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit

EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512-P3-N973-TR Video Card

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

HEC 63RABB Black Computer Case

HEC X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

soylent said:
I'd like to overclock this in the 3.5 to 4 ghz range. I read the x58a was more easily overclockable...

You may want to consider the just released i7-875K. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2580&start=0

From the review linked below: "itGuru has been overclocking since speeds were measured in MegaHz. In all those years, we’ve never seen a chip taken to 5GHz on air. Never. Until now."
It's a LOT less expensive, ($299 after rebate) uses the easily supported (and cheaper) P55 mobos and reaches almost the same specs as the really high dollar i7s.

Check out the review: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/z ... rs-review/

and definitely go for 1600 CAS 7 g.skill DDR3s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back