i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I need some help folks. I have a i7-7700k cpu and EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 06G-P4-6267-KR gpu. I want to upgrade my gpu to a current amd gpu so I can have the whole 4K experience. Please help.

I need some help folks. I have a i7-7700k cpu and EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 06G-P4-6267-KR gpu. I want to upgrade my gpu to a current amd gpu so I can have the whole 4K experience. Please help.
What version of MacOS do you want to run after the GPU upgrade?

If it is Mojave, you can use a RX 580.

If it is Catalina or the upcoming Big Sur, you can use the RX 580 or the RX 5000 series (5500 XT / 5600 XT / 5700 / 5700 XT).

What version of MacOS do you want to run after the GPU upgrade?

If it is Mojave, you can use a RX 580.

If it is Catalina or the upcoming Big Sur, you can use the RX 580 or the RX 5000 series (5500 XT / 5600 XT / 5700 / 5700 XT).
Hello Secret agent, and thank you for your speedy reply!

I’ve read your message and I believe I’m still on Mojave. I would like to eventually hopefully fingers crossed move up to Catalina and for sure Big Sur. You mentioned RX 580 so I was wondering will this be a good graphics card to get https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-rad...ing-8gd/p/N82E16814125962?Item=9SIA2W0C7C3785 ?

I would love to have 2 of those in my build so I can get 2 4K displays running with no jitters and such.

Looking forward to your reply,
Knuckles

Hello Secret agent, and thank you for your speedy reply!

I’ve read your message and I believe I’m still on Mojave. I would like to eventually hopefully fingers crossed move up to Catalina and for sure Big Sur. You mentioned RX 580 so I was wondering will this be a good graphics card to get https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-rad...ing-8gd/p/N82E16814125962?Item=9SIA2W0C7C3785 ?

I would love to have 2 of those in my build so I can get 2 4K displays running with no jitters and such.

Looking forward to your reply,
Knuckles
Yes, that Gigabyte card should work. Although personally I would use a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (The card is recommended by Apple for use in Thunderbolt eGPU enclosures.). I have one such card in each of my first two systems and they work great on Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

Yes, that Gigabyte card should work. Although personally I would use a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (The card is recommended by Apple for use in Thunderbolt eGPU enclosures.). I have one such card in each of my first two systems and they work great on Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.
I looked at the buyers guide and see this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ6FMF8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 .
Sorry for the thousand questions.
Would this be the one for me?
Since this has 2 HDMI ports would it be a waste for me 2 buy of these?

I looked at the buyers guide and see this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ6FMF8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 .
Sorry for the thousand questions.
Would this be the one for me?
Yes, that appears to be the RX 580 Pulse I am using in my Z370 system.

Theoretically you should be able to use 2 separate monitors for each of the HDMI ports, but I don't know if you will be able to on MacOS as I have no experience with multiple monitors.

Edit : I am not sure if MacOS supports HDMI 2.0 (4K@60), which means that if you want to use such a resolution you may need to use DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapters if HDMI doesn't work.

Last edited:
You should be able to use all four ports 2HDMI and 2 DP provided you use Lilu/Whatevergreen. My Wife has a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ she runs one monitor on DP and the second monitor on DP with an HDMI adaptor. One DP and one HDMI likely works without Whatevergreen.

@Jamesbond007 @scottkendall will 64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 4x16 work fine with GA-Z270XP-SLI?
Probably not at 3200. I have 2 16gb Corsair Vengeance white, and 2 16gb corsair vengeance RGB pro because that is what Corsair replaced the other set of 16gb vengeance white speed 2666. If your asking if MacOS will support it yes, if your asking if your motherboard supports it I have no idea.

Probably not at 3200. I have 2 16gb Corsair Vengeance white, and 2 16gb corsair vengeance RGB pro because that is what Corsair replaced the other set of 16gb vengeance white speed 2666. If your asking if MacOS will support it yes, if your asking if your motherboard supports it I have no idea.
Yeah I just wanted to make sure it was OS X safe. So since it’s 4 it’s 6400? Just want to make sure I’m understanding this right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back