Graphics
Nvidia GT 520
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a setup that probably nobody else has but I have kind of a general question about storage support.

I have a custom made pc (specs at the end) but with a Dell Perc S300 raid controller pci card installed. That contoller is actually a software raid and officially it's only supported under Windows.

OS X is not installed on a drive attached to this controller so my install is fine. The thing is that I have a 4TB raid-5 on that card and I'm trying to get access to it from OS X.

Now I understand that I need drivers for it to be recognized by OS X but what I don't understand is that Chimera lists it at boot, even retrieving the volume name!

Is Chimera (Chameleon) a completely unrelated piece of software to OS X and that the fact that it recognize the drive doesn't mean anything or could it be a hint that I would be able to do something to have OS X recognize it?

Thanks!

SPECS
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 x 2GB DDR2 800mhz
GeForce GT520 1GB
Western Digital WD1500ADFD

Presumably the Perc has a BIOS extension which is being loaded by your motherboard's BIOS, and at the BIOS level it shows up as a device you can boot off.
The bootblocks use the BIOS to find and read from devices, and it's only after OS X has been loaded from the device that OS X takes over (and has no drivers for the Perc so can't see the device).

Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back