Contribute
Register

PENTIUM D AND ASUS P5WDG2-WS !!! SNOW LEOPARD ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA X58 A UD7 REV 2.0
CPU
CORE I7 NEHALEM 930
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dears ,

I have a old system here with the ASUS P5WDG2-WS and Pentium D processor !!! Can I install Snow Leopard on it ?

Regards
KS 1771

Pentium D is a "T" Socket or LGA775 socketed processor.
It has two cores, but is NOT in the 45nm family that the Core 2 Duo processor is in. With a lot of work you might be able to get the "D" to work, but your best bet is to replace the processor with a Core 2 Duo E7500, with or without a processor fan included. OS X "likes" Core 2 or more recent processor architectures. :)
OH! be sure you have a processor fan and power supply robust enough to handle the HD, MB and the processor, too. The Core 2 Duos are a bit less expensive now because Intel is pushing their newer i series processors, which, of course are incompatible with the socket on your MB. Save the Pentium D processor for a Linux firewall or BSD server If you find another MB with empty Socket 775. Some of the ATX/pre-ATX boards make nice RAID servers.

Almost forgot, your DDR2 800 ram will work, as will the ethernet, but you need to check the forum and blog here about a proper Video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back