CPU
i7-950
Graphics
HD 5770
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
When I upgraded from Maverick to High Sierra via a clean Vanilla install, I lost the use of my USB 3.0 (NEC D720200F1 chipset) ports on my motherboard. I tried the following solutions to get it work:
  • DSDT Patches
    • change EHC1 to EH01
    • change EHC2 to EH02
  • "FixUSB" checked
  • downloaded the proper DSDT for my board and bios
  • "USB Inject" checked (devices page of Clover Configurator)
  • Kext Patches
    • com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI; 837D940F 0F839704 0000; 837D940F 90909090 9090; USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart; 10.13.x
    • AppleUSBXHCIPCI; 837D8C10; 837D8C1B; change 15 port limit to 24; 837D8C1B
  • Added the following to my EFI>EFI>CLOVER>kexts>Other folder
    • GenericUSBXHCI.kext
    • USBInjectAll.kext

The closest I've gotten is getting 1 out of the 2 USB ports to work properly. Data transfers fine and at the appropriate speed, but it doesn't show up anywhere in the System Profiler. After a lot of digging, reading various forum posts, and trying different things, it seemed the only solution was to do the whole "[Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext" thing. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a project and don't have the time for further tinkering, so I resorted to buying a PCIE USB 3.1 card with a chipset that should be natively supported.

First I tried StarTech.com Dual Port USB 3.1 Card - 2X USB-A - 10Gbps per Port - (PEXUSB312A2) Expansion Card which contains the ASM2142 chip. Didn't work in High Sierra (nothing mounts, no listing in diskutil list, and no entires in System Profiler or Disk Utility). I booted up my old Maverick hard drive, and it worked perfectly. I booted up a Linux Mint live 19.1 live disk, and it worked perfectly.

Thinking the ASM2142 chip wasn't supported in High Sierra 10.13.4, I returned it and bought an ORICO USB3.1 Type-C and Type-A 2-Port PCI (PA31-AC) Express Card which uses the ASM1142 chip, but I'm having the same exact issues as described in the previous paragraph. I realize now that it says "Not compatible with Mac OS", but I thought any card with ASM1142 chip was natively supported?

Since the card works in my other setups, I know it's not an issue with the card being defective, but I'm running out of ideas and my return window closes by Saturday. Please Help.

Attachments

• EFI Partition.zip
    17.9 MB · Views: 62
Can anyone help?

I made a complete reinstall - and with Multibeast, just only used this Method:
I got USB 3.0 running again on all ports.
Switched to VirtualSMC.kext in the wibe of "modern and lean" system - works fine so far.

All it takes are 6 kexts and a minimal config.plist.
I have deepest respect from all the developers - thank you so much!

I tried to create a custom USBPorts.kext following every guide I could find but failed.
USBInjectAll.kext and a port limit patch for 10.14.2, FB-Patcher ... it did not work for me either way.

In the end, it was simply placing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext into L/E and removing all patches from ACPI DSDT. That includes GFX0 to IGPU since whatevergreen.kext does not seem to need it. Also no port limit patch.

And suddenly all internal and external ports were running as they should at usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 speeds.

Now it seemd to work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back