Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 8300 Tower
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
In my system (HP 8300) I have a total of 3 drives, 2 1tb SSDs for OS X and Windows, and a third drive for storage thats 3tb formatted to exfat. I recently bought a 10tb WD Easystorage external hard drive with the intention of it replacing my 3tb internal drive. I plugged in the drive before taking it out if its enclosure, formatted it to exfat, and even put some files on it and it worked perfectly. But when I took the enclosure apart and put the drive in my tower, my computer hangs at the bios and im unable to get into any of the bios settings with it plugged in. I thought I fried the drive so I put it back inside its enclosure, restarted my pc and plugged it in and it showed up. However, when I tried turning my computer back on with it plugged in via USB the same thing happens where im getting stuck at bios.

I have no idea what to try here. I've tried changing the bios boot order to make sure my mac ssd is the first in the boot order, but i cant see this 10tb drive in the boot order because im unable to see the boot order when that drive is plugged in.

I feel like its a power thing but im not sure, since the issue still arises when the drive is using the enclosure's provided power supply

What happens if you start machine and later plug it in via usb?

This has some notes on why it might not work - Power - type not voltage

Last edited:
so after i installed the 10tb drive and got the issues with powering on, the first thing i tried was putting it back into its enclosure and plugging in via usb. i got the same problem as before with getting stuck at the bios start. if i wait for the system to fully turn on and plug the drive in, it shows up fine in mac os. shows up fine in my macbook pro as well. since the computer locks up when it was plugged in, i went to the boot order and put usb devices at the bottom and my ssd with mac os at the very top but the same thing happens

my original intention with this drive was to replace my 3tb storage drive currently inside my tower but im starting to wonder if this is something i should even bother with? seems like the benefits of shucking are mainly to put multiples of the same drive in a server set up, right? in my situation i dont gain much in that way, i would just prefer to not have to have use an extra wall plug or another plastic box on my desk or floor.

i guess im worried about taking apart the enclosure again and messing around too much with the drive itself

The link points to article where it talks about the type of power settings - I know nothing about this but given yours is a 10TB drive I suspect its newish it may be effected by the things mentioned in the article. That it wont start with it in as a USB makes me suspect there is something wrong in either the bios (more likely) or a fault in the drive (less likely), that it cant recognise the OSX partition should really stop the machine from booting unless its set to boot from there? Shucking is useful when you dont care about the reliability of the drive so much - it seems that that drives in enclosures are not as reliable as those not but significantly cheaper - so a raid array properly configured can take advantage of the price whilst offering overall reliability.

i didnt mention it in the OP but the guide i followed when i took apart the enclosure went over that 3.3v glitch or whatever and i used the tape method to cover the 3rd pin. im getting a locked up bios either way, plugged in with tape covering the 3rd pin as well as when the drive is plugged into usb.

you mention something wrong in the bios, i've read similar cases to mine and saw suggestions to change the legacy support in the bios. i thought it had to be turned off for the hp 8300 hack to install, and doesnt it make usb not work in the bootloader? which would be a bust cuz i got two OSs

gota look in your bios settings for boot orders - harder to tell when you cant have it in at boot - but seems certain that as long as you can get it to boot off something other than a usb 1st you can ensure that even with it plugged in it wouldnt be booting off it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back