Contribute
Register

PC build for programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! :)

I want to build a PC for programming and I would like to have the OSX operating system on my PC. There is a lot of information here and guides, but I simply don't have the money to buy a PC based on the guides. My budget is like 500 USD. (I know that the budget is quite low for programming purposes, but I have to deal with this)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-D2V rev 3.0
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, 3.2GHz, Haswell, 6MB, Socket 1150, Box
Power supply: Thermaltake Smart SE 630W
RAM: HyperX FURY Blue 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL10, 1.5V
SSD: Intel 540s Series, 120GB, 2.5'', SATA III
Video card: GIGABYTE Radeon R7 240 OC 2GB DDR3 128-bit

What's you opinion, with this architecture, the OSX will work properly? If not, could you give me some suggestions?

And, those of you that currently have OSX as your main OS, what is your impressions, opinions, it's really a huge difference? Does the work worth?

I want to build a PC for programming and I would like to have the OSX operating system on my PC. There is a lot of information here and guides, but I simply don't have the money to buy a PC based on the guides. My budget is like 500 USD. (I know that the budget is quite low for programming purposes, but I have to deal with this)

What's you opinion, with this architecture, the OSX will work properly? If not, could you give me some suggestions?

And, those of you that currently have OSX as your main OS, what is your impressions, opinions, it's really a huge difference? Does the work worth?
Yes, what you have listed will work, although you should check the Gigabyte QVL for RAM and make sure your selected memory is in the list before purchase.
Also, If not gaming and you only need basic video display for text apps and maybe watching a youtube video or streaming a movie, the discrete GPU is not needed - the onboard HD4600 is adequate.

Hi,

Thanks for answering, I really appreciate!
What's your opinion, should I change the motherboard to a more easy to install one? I chosed this because it has pci express 3.0 slot and price it's good.

I'm curios after I install it, will it run smoothly compared to windows or I'll have to switch back to window?

+1 on the HD4600. I would eliminate the R7 240 altogether and get a better motherboard. That D2V version only has DVI output if you will use onboard graphics. Take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128822 which will give you the ability to use dual monitors and go up to 32 GB of ram with the 4 DIMM slots. No gfx card needed to run dual monitors with this board.

Last edited:
+1 on the HD4600. I would eliminate the R7 240 altogether and get a better motherboard. That D2V version only has DVI output if you will use onboard graphics. Take a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128822 which will give you the ability to use dual monitors and go up to 32 GB of ram with the 4 DIMM slots. No gfx card needed.

Ok, great, then this will be! :)
Does this motherboard suites better to OSX?
I'm asking this because I want to be sure that OSX will run smoothly with o problems, because I want a stable system :). (If it runs smoothly like an iPhone 6, than I will be very pleased)

Ok, great, then this will be! :)
Does this motherboard suites better to OSX?
I'm asking this because I want to be sure that OSX will run smoothly with o problems, because I want a stable system :). (If it runs smoothly like an iPhone 6, than I will be very pleased)
Many have used this board to install El Capitan so yes it will work if you install correctly.

Or what's your opinion about this motherboard?
This has DDR4 RAM support, and I can buy this RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL16 and have a slightly better performance.

Does it work if the motherboards support only 2133 MHz frequencies and the RAM have 2400 MHz?

Or what's your opinion about this motherboard?
This has DDR4 RAM support, and I can buy this RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL16 and have a slightly better performance.

Does it work if the motherboards support only 2133 MHz frequencies and the RAM have 2400 MHz?
You would need to get an I5-6400/6500 to use with that motherboard as it's new 1151 socket. Yes you can use
the 2400 MHz ram with that board. No problems, just check the QVL on the Gigabyte site to make sure it is
compatible with that specific brand.

You would need to get an I5-6400/6500 to use with that motherboard as it's new 1151 socket. Yes you can use
the 2400 MHz ram with that board. No problems, just check the QVL on the Gigabyte site to make sure it is
compatible with that specific brand.

Great!
I check the QVL list on Gigabyte but it doesn't say anything about this specific product (but supports similar RAM memory from Corsair), or about CL 16. (I have a question about this CL16 - I read on theweb that as lower the CAS latency is as better the performace is. Then why the RAM memory that have CL19 for example, are very expensive?

The list now looks like this:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL16 - here I'm not quite sure if it works
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6400, 2.7GHz
SSD:Intel 540s Series, 120GB, 2.5'', SATA III

Great!
I check the QVL list on Gigabyte but it doesn't say anything about this specific product (but supports similar RAM memory from Corsair), or about CL 16. (I have a question about this CL16 - I read on theweb that as lower the CAS latency is as better the performace is. Then why the RAM memory that have CL19 for example, are very expensive?

The list now looks like this:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL16 - here I'm not quite sure if it works
What I would do is get the lower CL15 ram at 2133 Mhz and then overclock it if you need more speed. Really doubt that you even need to do that. Pick one of these specifically from the QVL. I'll post it here:
TRS 2016-05-07 at 5.19.22 PM.jpg
TRS 2016-05-07 at 5.19.22 PM.jpg

Match all the letters and numbers exactly for best results.

I would go with this Corsair budget ram. 8GB for only 40 dollars is a great deal and you can be sure it will work with no problems with that board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233770

If you will mainly be programming with this system, don't pay a lot more for flashy heatsinks and marketing hype. It's really not worth paying more $ for.
You want to get two 4GB DIMMs to run them in Dual channel mode as opposed to just a single 8GB DIMM. You could also get two 8GB modules if you think you'll need more ram in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back