Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Just have to say, great build.
I have a similar setup (same motherboard but without WiFi), running Windows on it unfortantly, because of a software I use for rendering can only use CUDA cores on Windows, but not on OSX. Whenever that change I'm switching directly.

Again, great work!

Pastrychef, just wanted to say thanks for the guide and resources. I am using the ASUS Prime Z370-A board, different (but buyer's guide) wifi and bluetooth and firewire. The only significant change from your guide (apart from my USB mapping) was to use the Mac Pro 6,1 system definition as I couldn't get DisplayLink or Duet second screens working on the iMac definition. This not only allowed me to use all the extra screens, but also seems to have smoothed out performance quite dramatically (iMac was a bit stuttered, would have weird hangs of up to 10 seconds). Everything is working really well now. Thanks!

run this and report back on the output, it should look something like this:

[xxx@yyy ~]$ ./VDADecoderChecker
GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen95
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

BTW, I compiled this binary for High Sierra, which I assume you're on.
I can verify playing 4k HEVC mp4 files with QuickTime player it uses < 10% CPU and I can see the graphics card stepping up in Intel Power Gadget.
Failed.

Code:
VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.

Failed.

Code:
An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.

See here for the fix.

Hey Pastry, it's me again.
Everything seems working fine with your guide. Except that a have sleep / wake problem. When my computer goes to sleep a have to reboot every time. Do you know a guide to fix this problem or there is a quick fix for this?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hey Pastry, it's me again.
Everything seems working fine with your guide. Except that a have sleep / wake problem. When my computer goes to sleep a have to reboot every time. Do you know a guide to fix this problem or there is a quick fix for this?

Thank you so much for your help.

I'm unaware of a single fix for sleep/wake issues. There's just too many possibilities to what can be the cause of the problem. You will have to search to find someone with similar problems as yours. You may want to try different "Darkwake" settings in config.plist...

Also, please update your profile with CPU, motherboard, and GPU info so that it's easier for others to help you.

I'm unaware of a single fix for sleep/wake issues. There's just too many possibilities to what can be the cause of the problem. You will have to search to find someone with similar problems as yours. You may want to try different "Darkwake" settings in config.plist...

Also, please update your profile with CPU, motherboard, and GPU info so that it's easier for others to help you.
So if I understand right I choose an another darkwake in clover configurator and reboot until i found one working?

So if I understand right I choose an another darkwake in clover configurator and reboot until i found one working?

Yes, I've gone through the same trial and error in the past. If that doesn't help you, you will have to do some Googling...

Back