Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of couriosity, what did the console.app gives you for "wake reason"?
Nothing! just a question mark ?
The problem is that I can't even know why is this happening. Apparrently the system goes to sleep (displays go black, drives stop spinning) but after 30 secs I hear my fans ramping again and this cycle continues every 1:30 minute or so. I think that It never really goes to sleep and that's why there's no "wake reason" , except for me, using the keyboard to get my displays on again.
I'm attahing here my pmset -g, pmset-g log and syslog |grep -i "Wake reason" outputs in case you or someone else wants to take a look at them.

Attachments

• Pmset output.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 106
hy guys,hy pastrychef!
i want to ask you an information please:
can you check please into your clover efi folder if you have the emuvariable64? inside the folder driver64 I mean.

Hi, xelanaiznac.

No, I do not have that. From what I understand, that is only required if NVRAM is not working. On the Asus Maximus VIII Gene, it works with all except the latest version of bios (3007).

Stork warned that the latest bios breaks NVRAM so I never updated and stayed on bios version 2202.

Last edited:
oh yeah, that's the issue! I updated yesterday to 3007!

At least one user reported that he/she successfully downgraded the bios back to 2202, but I do now know the exact procedure. He/she did say that it was not possible to downgrade from within bios.

I finally got my hands on a real USB 3.1 drive enclosure and did a bit of testing with the Gene's USB-C port.

When I tested with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, Blackmagic ended up freezing at some point and I was not able to cleanly force quit the app, so I had to restart the computer but I did manage to get a screenshot...

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.30.20 PM.png
I then tried copying some data to it. Copying 127.27GB of data took 5:13. This was done from an internal Crucial SSD to the USB 3.1 enclosure with a Toshiba SSD inside.

So, I've finally confirmed that USB 3.1 does in fact work without need of any additional drivers or patches, etc.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.54.22 PM.png

For comparison's sake, here is the same USB 3.1 enclosure connected to one of the normal USB 3 ports:
Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 12.11.01 AM.png

Last edited:
macOS Sierra 10.12.3 update info:

This only applies to those who are using the iMac17,1 system definition.

With 10.12.3, I had to disable the HD 530 to use my GTX 980.
When I pulled my GTX 980, the HD 530 worked.
The AGDPfix 1.0 Black Screen Fix did NOT work for me.
Pike R. Alpha's Clover patch works.

Update:
AGDPfix 1.3 works and HD 530 can be enabled along side a discrete graphics card.

Last edited:
Hi pastrychef, thanks for all the work on this board.

In your USB mapping (thank you!), you say HS14 on mobo header 3 is "internal Bluetooth". What exactly do you mean by that? Is it possible to use the M.2 slot with an adapter such as this one (no USB connection) and still have working Bluetooth, or is the separate USB-header-cable still necessary?

Hi!

On all the Apple wifi/Bluetooth cards to PCI-e adaptors I've seen, a separate cable is included that connects to the PCI-e card. This cable carries the D+ and D- data lines to a USB connector. I used HS14 for this.

The adaptor you linked to is not compatible with M.2 connectors.

There is really no way that I'm aware of to avoid using that cable and still retain Bluetooth functionality. The only instance I can think of is on motherboards with mini PCI-e or M.2 slots designed specifically for use with wifi/Bluetooth cards.

Edit: One other option would be to not connect that cable at all and use a USB Bluetooth adaptor instead. However, I don't know if this would have any affect on Handoff/Continuity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back